A conversation with VoIP.ms...

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
inhaliburton
A conversation with VoIP.ms...

Post by inhaliburton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 am

[Paul] When I dial my number, ?????????, I get message saying person unavailable. Only option is to leave message. On Edit DID Settings page, am unable to Edit anything but SIP, Voicemail, and System. Where do I go from here? Thanks.

[Alan] Let me check please hold

[Alan] I have checked your account and I could not see you registered
[Alan] What device are you using?

[Paul] Ooma Telo

[Alan] Ok have you configured your device?

[Paul] It's working. Not sure what you mean.

[Alan] Paul I'm afraid your device is not configurable to use with our service.

[Paul] Why not? What do you mean when you said, "I have checked your account and I could not see you registered?"

[Alan] Have you configured the oOma Telo using your voip.ms information?

[Paul] I would have to say, NO. Don't know how to do that...

[Alan] Paul please note that in order to use our service you will have to configure your device with your account information, this in order to register your device to one of our servers
[Alan] Unfortunately we no dot have configuration samples for that device

[Paul] Yes, I noticed that. The Ooma is quite popular and are selling like hotcakes. Why no info to help us out?

[Alan] Please note that that device is delivered to use with another company and is not configurable to use with our service.
[Alan] However here you could see the list of supported devices to use with voip.ms:http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Devices

[Paul] Yes, I saw the list and it made me wonder why a popular device isn't supported. Many of the items on your list aren't very popular compared to the Ooma device. You are missing the boat on this one. Are you saying that the Ooma Telo is "unconfigurable" with your system?

[Alan] That is correct Paul

[Paul] Okay, I'll go other to the Ooma Board and see what they say. I suggest that you list on that page "unsupported devices." That would save a lot of farting around. Many of us aren't technical types. Thanks.

What I am trying to do is, my daughter lives in New York state. I want her to be able to phone me and not have it cost her anything.

What I was trying to do, perhaps incorrectly, was have a local number to her purchased through VoIP.ms forwarded to my Ooma number.

Any simplified info would be appreciated.

PS: I'm about to port my landline number over to Ooma as I am very happy with the device and service.

murphy

Re: A conversation with VoIP.ms...

Post by murphy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 am

It sounds like voip.ms is a SIP service. That is not compatible with Ooma.
You would need an adapter that can be configured with SIP credentials.

Instead

Pay for Ooma Premier service and get a second number that is a local call for your daughter.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am

This is an easy one. I currently use voip.ms so I have some history and knowledge about them. They are a voip provider that works with normal SIP devices like the Linksys PAP2 or Cisco phones. The service does not support devices like the ooma that use a slightly different protocol. That said, I can use voip.ms to obtain an 800 or other number and then forward those calls to any other number I choose. It takes setting up the 800 (or other) number properly and having their server make the outbound call to your designated number. It is NOT free - you will pay a monthly fee for the DID and a per-minute fee for the calls actually made.

Here is what I would recommend - Obtain a free Google Voice number in her local area code (make sure it isn't a toll call for her) and have it pointed to your number. We run a recovery group that offers a phone list for people to call before they use. One of our members has a Tacoma, WA number that is a toll call from Shelton, WA. We obtained a Shelton number and set it to ring his Tacoma cell phone when a person calls it. No charge, no setup fees - just free calling home for your daughter.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

inhaliburton

Post by inhaliburton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 am

murphy wrote:It sounds like voip.ms is a SIP service. That is not compatible with Ooma.
You would need an adapter that can be configured with SIP credentials.

Instead

Pay for Ooma Premier service and get a second number that is a local call for your daughter.
Yes, it is SIP service, don't know what it means, though. Likely doesn't matter to me.

I will be keeping the Premier service. That's exactly what I was trying to do with VoIP.ms when I purchased a phone number with them that was local to my daughter. That number would then be "forwarded" to my Ooma number. VoIP.ms says that isn't possible with Ooma.

inhaliburton

Post by inhaliburton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Another conversation with VoIP.ms

Hi Paul,

In order to be able to use our sub account and the option that the sub account offer, for example the internal extension, you will need to use a device with us. Since the Ooma Telo device is not compatible with us, you can use a softphone, is a software that resembles a telephone for your PC and you can make and receive calls. Zoiper and X-lite are free to use and to download. You can also refer to our configuration guide on these softphones over at our wiki page http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Softphones

If you have further queries do not hesitate to contact us.

__
VoIP.ms Technical Support

Fri, Jan 25 2013 2:58pm
Hi Ed, thanks for your quick response. I understand better now why Oomo Telo isn't compatible with VoIP.ms. Too bad as one of the reasons I choose the Oomo Telo system device is that it doesn't require being attached to a computer, voice mail without having to go on-line, and without having my daughter purchase a softphone, and other features that are missing from some other devices like the MagicJack, like not being able to port over a landline number like you can with the Oomo system. Regards, Paul.

What I have finally decided to do is purchase another 855 toll free for this purchase. The cost is peanuts .04 cents per minute. It will be forwarded to my Ooma Telo number.

One more thing to do: port my landline number over to Oomo.

Regards, Paul.

inhaliburton

Post by inhaliburton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:09 pm

southsound wrote:This is an easy one. I currently use voip.ms so I have some history and knowledge about them. They are a voip provider that works with normal SIP devices like the Linksys PAP2 or Cisco phones. The service does not support devices like the ooma that use a slightly different protocol. That said, I can use voip.ms to obtain an 800 or other number and then forward those calls to any other number I choose. It takes setting up the 800 (or other) number properly and having their server make the outbound call to your designated number. It is NOT free - you will pay a monthly fee for the DID and a per-minute fee for the calls actually made.

Here is what I would recommend - Obtain a free Google Voice number in her local area code (make sure it isn't a toll call for her) and have it pointed to your number. We run a recovery group that offers a phone list for people to call before they use. One of our members has a Tacoma, WA number that is a toll call from Shelton, WA. We obtained a Shelton number and set it to ring his Tacoma cell phone when a person calls it. No charge, no setup fees - just free calling home for your daughter.
Thanks for taking the time southsound. Last week I tried getting a Google Voice number. I got partway through the proccess, did the confirm proceedure with the 4-digit number, then things went heywire. I have an account, I think, because when I go to the Google Voice page there is a field indicating there are zero funds available. But I do not know how to get a number from this point. Regards, Paul.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 pm

inhaliburton wrote: Thanks for taking the time southsound. Last week I tried getting a Google Voice number. I got partway through the proccess, did the confirm proceedure with the 4-digit number, then things went heywire. I have an account, I think, because when I go to the Google Voice page there is a field indicating there are zero funds available. But I do not know how to get a number from this point. Regards, Paul.
As I recall from years ago when I first set up our Google Voice numbers, you are able to set up an account without a number and then go back to set up the number at a later time. Try logging into your GV account at google.com/voice and use your email and password. I believe you use the settings (gear icon) to get to the page where you can choose a number. Make sure you use a number that will be local to your daughter. Then you can choose what phone numbers you want to have the GV number forward to. We have personal GV number forwarding to our landline, 2 ooma numbers, and our cell phone. When you add a number you need to be able to answer it and enter the code that you are given on your computer screen.

By the way - the funds are only required to place outgoing International calls. Incoming and US/Canada calls are free.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Look at this post I wrote about "how to" sign up with Google Voice: /viewtopic.php?t=13383#p93077

If you haven't gotten a Google Voice number yet, under the Credit: $0.00, you would see a link "Get a Voice number." Click on it and choose "I want a new number"
Then, in choosing your number, you can specify the area code and "Word, phrase, number" you want. Then, choose the one you want by selecting it and then continue.

inhaliburton

Post by inhaliburton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm

southsound wrote:
inhaliburton wrote: Thanks for taking the time southsound. Last week I tried getting a Google Voice number. I got partway through the proccess, did the confirm proceedure with the 4-digit number, then things went heywire. I have an account, I think, because when I go to the Google Voice page there is a field indicating there are zero funds available. But I do not know how to get a number from this point. Regards, Paul.
As I recall from years ago when I first set up our Google Voice numbers, you are able to set up an account without a number and then go back to set up the number at a later time. Try logging into your GV account at google.com/voice and use your email and password. I believe you use the settings (gear icon) to get to the page where you can choose a number. Make sure you use a number that will be local to your daughter. Then you can choose what phone numbers you want to have the GV number forward to. We have personal GV number forwarding to our landline, 2 ooma numbers, and our cell phone. When you add a number you need to be able to answer it and enter the code that you are given on your computer screen.

By the way - the funds are only required to place outgoing International calls. Incoming and US/Canada calls are free.
Went there, no joy. Thanks anyway...

inhaliburton

Post by inhaliburton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:34 pm

lbmofo wrote:Look at this post I wrote about "how to" sign up with Google Voice: /viewtopic.php?t=13383#p93077

If you haven't gotten a Google Voice number yet, under the Credit: $0.00, you would see a link "Get a Voice number." Click on it and choose "I want a new number"
Then, in choosing your number, you can specify the area code and "Word, phrase, number" you want. Then, choose the one you want by selecting it and then continue.
Nothing underneath the Credit: $0.00 except a Feedback icon link.

What may be happening is my not being in the USofA.

I'll go to your supplied link. Thanks.