Google voice/hangout concurrent call interference

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
hkgtz
Google voice/hangout concurrent call interference

Post by hkgtz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 am

Hi,

I bought the Ooma about a month ago, and the only major problem I've had with it, is that when someone is using it to make a call, it interferes with google voice or google hangout calls made from my computer. The Ooma call quality is ok, but the call quality on the Google call starts to degrade. I've used Google voice/hangout for about a year with no problems previously and there was no interference from concurrent calls using my previous VOIP service from the cable company.

I have a 30/5Mbps Internet connection which I believe should be plenty for multiple concurrent VOIP calls. My computer uses wired ethernet to connect to the router, so I know the problem is not WiFi interference. The setup looks like this:

Internet <- SBG6580 Modem/Router <- Ooma

I've also tried changing the QoS settings on my Ooma to 0/0 to disable it, but I still have the same problem. Does anyone have suggestions about how I can limit the amount of bandwidth the Ooma uses so that it does not interfere with other VOIP calls going at the same time?

Thanks!

lbmofo

Re: Google voice/hangout concurrent call interference

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Sounds like you have both Ooma and your computer connected to the router?

The only thing I suggest you check out first at this point is whether you are having Ooma use the "built in MAC."

Take a look at this, you'd want to see the "after router"

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

hkgtz

Post by hkgtz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 pm

lbmofo wrote:Sounds like you have both Ooma and your computer connected to the router?
Yes, that's correct.
lbmofo wrote: The only thing I suggest you check out first at this point is whether you are having Ooma use the "built in MAC."
Take a look at this, you'd want to see the "after router"
"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference
If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403
If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
I set it to use the build in MAC address, and verified the other recommended settings, but I still had the same call issue today with a concurrent google hangout. After disconnecting the Ooma from the network and re-joining the hangout, the problem went away. So my next step is that I'm going to try adding my old router with dd-wrt in front of the ooma to throttle the connection and maybe set a lower priority. Does the Ooma set all communication to a high priority? I'm thinking it's either my motorola modem-router that can't handle the concurrent high priority traffic very well, or something that my ISP (Time Warner) is doing that is causing the problem.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Kind of puzzling because Ooma wouldn't use much bandwidth so why it would degrade computer app VoIP traffic that much....

Take a look at this if haven't already; some stuff to check out your internet overall. viewtopic.php?t=10023

hkgtz

Post by hkgtz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 pm

lbmofo wrote:Kind of puzzling because Ooma wouldn't use much bandwidth so why it would degrade computer app VoIP traffic that much....

Take a look at this if haven't already; some stuff to check out your internet overall. viewtopic.php?t=10023
I tested my connection and went through all the recommended settings, and the test results were fine, but I still had problems making calls. After a lot of messing with various configuration, the problem seems to be my modem/router device (Motorola SBG6580). I put it into bridge mode to completely disable the wireless and routing functions, and connected my buffalo router with dd-wrt for wireless. I've been using that setup for a few days, and everything seems to be fine now. Maybe I had something configured incorrectly on my modem, but I reviewed various recommended settings for the device and didn't find any setting that helped. The phone power speed test (http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest) always came back with really good results, but when I tried to make a google voice call the quality was bad with the ooma disconnected, and even worse when ooma was being used at the same time.

So I'm guessing the root problem is poor routing firmware on the SBG6580. I'll probably try to play around with the settings again at some point in the future but for now just using it as a basic cable modem with the routing disabled seems to be working fine.