MAC Address differs from printed Telo adapter

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
sparkyguy3809
MAC Address differs from printed Telo adapter

Post by sparkyguy3809 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Note that my Ooma Telo is separately plugged into one of my router ports and I do NOT use it as a "feed-thru" device.
The system functions perfectly fine . . . I am simply trying to understand the number discrepancy described below.

My physical Ooma Telo adapter has a printed label stating it has a MAC Address that ends in 6.
My account information on Ooma.com also notes that my assigned equipment has a MAC address that ends in 6.
However, my system router identifies my Ooma Adapter as having a MAC address that ends in 7.
The preceeding 9 digits on both MAC addresses are the identical, only the last digit is different.
Can anyone explain why these MAC addresses are not all identical ??

Is it possible that the Telo RJ-45 jack labeled "TO INTERNET" has one MAC address and the other RJ-45 jack labeled "HOME NETWORK" has another MAC address?

lbmofo

Re: MAC Address differs from printed Telo adapter

Post by lbmofo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:48 am

Yes. What you see in router is the to Internet port MAC address and printed on bottom of Ooma is home network port MAC address.

murphy

Re: MAC Address differs from printed Telo adapter

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:35 am

sparkyguy3809 wrote: Is it possible that the Telo RJ-45 jack labeled "TO INTERNET" has one MAC address and the other RJ-45 jack labeled "HOME NETWORK" has another MAC address?
Each internet device that has multiple ports must have a unique MAC address for each port.
A wireless router will have three MAC addresses.
One for the wired connection to the internet (WAN)
One for the wired connection to the devices it serves (LAN).
All of the LAN ports on a router have the same MAC address because those ports are actually a built in switch.
One for the wireless connection to the devices it serves (WLAN).
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx