Disconnecting phone line at Nid

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Strolli
Disconnecting phone line at Nid

Post by Strolli » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi everyone this is my first post.
I have ATT U-verse, and use an Ooma Telo, which works pretty well together. I stopped using Att landline phone service, and now only use Ooma.
However, for some reason when they were setting up the internet, ATT said that only 1 phone jack can be used to connect to the internet at once, so I chose the one best for my internet needs, making me need to place my ooma box, along with moving my phone from where it used to be to the new jack.
My internet is great in this location, and the router is getting a signal wherever it is supposed to.
The problem is the phone base is moved to a location that is not convenient, and there are certain places where I don't get a good phone signal.
I heard that you can do this by physically disconnecting your phone wires for the telephone company, connect your ooma telo to your house wiring, and then connect your phone base to any working jack in your house, and you will get a working ooma dial tone. I would like to do this, and then connect the phone base to the jack where it used to be to get a good phone signal to the whole house.
I have taken some pictures of my NID, and would love it if someone can give exact clear instructions on how to disconnect the phone line from the NID while keeping the uverse internet signal intact.

The top part with the phone jack insert location I'm pretty sure is mine and the bottom one with the door closed in the top pic I am pretty sure is my neighbors, so ignore that one.
If you need any more info or pics, please tell me below.
Last edited by Strolli on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

lbmofo

Re: Disconnecting phone line at Nid

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Questions

When you say you no longer use their phone service, does that mean you already turn that portion of it off?
No Uverse TV service?
Your neighbor has only 1 wire bunch and seems that you have 3 wire bunches going into your place?
Did the Uverse guy install a home run wire (dedicated wire bunch) from NID to this 1 new walljack only used for Uverse Gateway?
Did you guys have landline phone service before where all the walljacks work? When you had Uverse phone service, did all the walljacks work?

Strolli

Post by Strolli » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm

lbmofo wrote:Questions

When you say you no longer use their phone service, does that mean you already turn that portion of it off?
No Uverse TV service?
Yes we already turned the lanline phone service off. When we called to ATT to make sure, they told us that they turned off the landline service when we ported to Ooma.
No we don't have TV service
lbmofo wrote:Your neighbor has only 1 wire bunch and seems that you have 3 wire bunches going into your place?
I guess. I'm not sure
lbmofo wrote:Did the Uverse guy install a home run wire (dedicated wire bunch) from NID to this 1 new walljack only used for Uverse Gateway?
I'm not sure. He didn't change the home wiring, only the wiring at the Nid, AFAIK.
lbmofo wrote:Did you guys have landline phone service before where all the walljacks work?
Yes
lbmofo wrote:When you had Uverse phone service, did all the walljacks work?
Sorry for not explaining before. We used to have landline phone service, not uverse phone, before switching to ooma.
Anything else you need to know?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 pm

Without any test equipments, here is what I would do.

I am assuming the 2nd swing door is indeed your neighbors.

I think the top blue pair connection only goes to that one walljack where the modem is working.

Try to connect your modem to all other walljacks and verify that the modem doesn't come online.

Cut the top blue pair and insert the side coming from phone company to the empty tab (after wire insertion, pull the tab down to make the connection; leave the swing door open)

Verify that your modem comes online with all walljacks except the walljack that's working now.

If you got this far, do the following to do what you want distributing Ooma dialtone:

Connect the top direct connection back to the wirebunch but to the orange pair.

Pull the 3 pairs connected to the tabs and connect them together along with the blue pair from the top connection wire bunch.

When you connect wires together, use 3 butt connectors (ring to ring, tip to tip)

IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

Using 3 butt connectors, you can connect 4 wires together by connecting 3 wires using 1 connector first then cut 1 of the 3 wires, connect the 2 ends with the 4th wire using 1 more 3 butt connector.

Since the wires are off the tabs, you can close the swing door now.

Go to the jack where your modem is connected to, plug a L1+L2 splitter, connect modem to L2 port. Your modem should come online.

At the jack with the splitter, you can connect a phone cord from Ooma's "phone" port to the L1 port of the splitter, all the other jacks should have Ooma dialtone. If you connect Ooma "phone" port to another jack, the L1 port of the splitter should have the Ooma dialtone.

For further info:

Within this thread: /viewtopic.php?t=13354
You'll find this link http://voip.mi-telecom.org/