Can I use Ooma in conjunction w/ Time Warner's "Home Phone"?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
mhowie
Can I use Ooma in conjunction w/ Time Warner's "Home Phone"?

Post by mhowie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 pm

I am moving in the near future and will be utilizing Time Warner Cable for my internet. I will need to have a business phone in my new home and plan to use Time Warner's "Home Phone" product. For my personal calling needs will I be able to use my Ooma system as I have done the past few years (using Brighthouse cable internet), either alongside or somehow separate from Time Warner's VOIP "Home Phone" service?

Thanks for your insight.
--Howie

lbmofo

Re: Can I use Ooma in conjunction w/ Time Warner's "Home Phone"?

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Definitely yes. Your cable phone service dialtone would come out of your cable modem and you setup your Ooma as you would regularly. Just don't mix the 2 dialtones together. Example, if cable phone dialtone is fed to your house wiring, don't feed your Ooma dialtone to your house wiring (unless you are feeding to a different pair by rewiring your phone jack or using L1+L2 splitters). The easiest is to just plug a DECT 6 phone base into your Ooma so you can have numerous handsets around the house getting your Ooma service.

mhowie

Post by mhowie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Great reply and helpful description. Thanks.

I currently use my home's phone wiring to distribute the Ooma dialtone but it appears I will not have the ability unless I rewire or use splitters as you have noted.

I'm thinking I will need to position the Ooma base behind my router and connect a DECT 6 phone base as you have described? I won't know until I get into the house and subsequently have the cable internet service configured exactly where my router will be positioned.

Although...I'm not thinking I could plug in my Ooma base anywhere within the house (behind a switch) as the router would take care of things upstream? In other words I would not be bound by the physical location of the router relative to where the Ooma needed to be connected?
--Howie

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:10 pm

As for setting up your Ooma, you can do any configuration...after router or before router.

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

If you want your Ooma away from modem & router, you can use Ooma wifi adapter (if Telo) or powerline ethernet adapter, or wifi bridge... see what I use: /viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13450&start=20#p97898

mhowie

Post by mhowie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 pm

lbmofo wrote:The easiest is to just plug a DECT 6 phone base into your Ooma so you can have numerous handsets around the house getting your Ooma service.
Follow-up question...would this work with the Ooma Hub (vs. the Telo)?
--Howie

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Yes

mhowie

Post by mhowie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm

mhowie wrote:
lbmofo wrote:The easiest is to just plug a DECT 6 phone base into your Ooma so you can have numerous handsets around the house getting your Ooma service.
Follow-up question...would this work with the Ooma Hub (vs. the Telo)?
Wanted to report this is working brilliantly. Thanks again for the direction.

Hopefully the Ooma Hub isn't completely phased out anytime soon...
--Howie