ooma and MTU settings -- Internet speed

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
niknak
Re: ooma and MTU settings -- Internet speed

Post by niknak » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:31 pm

... I haven't seen the inside of a switching center since it was filled with Strowgers (any of you young kids even heard the term?)...

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:56 pm

scottlindner wrote:What type of ISP do you have (DSL, cable, other)?
Cable modem. Comcast 8/2.

I moved the ooma in front of the router to see if that makes a difference. It goes against my nature since it seems wrong to put any device in front of your router/firewall and causes a few minor complications.

First, I am using automatic DynDNS registration on my router. Since it is beign NATed now, that doesn't work. Also, I didn't want to have to set up 2 separate port forwards (one on ooma & one on my router) every time I change something. I fixed this by opening a DMZ to my router.

On the up side, the ooma QoS is not supposed to kick in at all unless you are on a call. So, even if I have my QoS bandwidth set fairly low, ensuring a good voice session, I don't have to worry about it killing bandwidth to the rest of my systems when I'm not on the phone.

Another potential benefit of having the ooma responsible for QoS is that the link I posted earlier specifically mentions the ooma "reserving" bandwidth, along with a new setting in the next firmware allowing you to choose how much to reserve. If this is a true "reservation", ooma QoS settings would have a better effect on voice quality than ordinary QoS on the router could. Effectively rather than making sure more ooma packets get on the wire than other packets, as normal QoS could do, a reservation would effectively create two pipes of data going out, one the perfect bandwidth for ooma communication, and the other with whatever is left according your QoS limit. At least that's what I read by the term "reservation" and allowing us to choose the size.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:13 pm

ggilman wrote:First, I am using automatic DynDNS registration on my router. Since it is beign NATed now, that doesn't work.
If you run the client software that DynDNS provides, it will work fine with the ooma hub ahead of the router. I have yet to find a router that implements DynDNS's protocol properly.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:43 pm

niknak wrote:
... I haven't seen the inside of a switching center since it was filled with Strowgers (any of you young kids even heard the term?)...

Awesome. Good laugh. Thanks.

Scott

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:43 pm

murphy wrote:
ggilman wrote:First, I am using automatic DynDNS registration on my router. Since it is beign NATed now, that doesn't work.
If you run the client software that DynDNS provides, it will work fine with the ooma hub ahead of the router. I have yet to find a router that implements DynDNS's protocol properly.
Exactly. I have ddclient on a Unix box to correct that.

Scott

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:49 pm

ggilman wrote:
scottlindner wrote:I moved the ooma in front of the router to see if that makes a difference. It goes against my nature since it seems wrong to put any device in front of your router/firewall and causes a few minor complications.
If this test passes, then you know to tackle the QoS settings on your router, or live with Ooma as your first router. I have the same instincts you do. It doesn't feel right having Ooma out front, but it also is already tweaked to work perfectly.

Scott

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Scott
you're welcome! (I couldn't resist when I saw the mention of stroeger switches!)

PS I think I found my avatar!

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:35 am

niknak wrote:

Scott
you're welcome! (I couldn't resist when I saw the mention of stroeger switches!)

PS I think I found my avatar!
That would be a brilliant avatar. I wish I could say I had thought of it.

Cheers,
Scott