Web interface from INTERNET port?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
azism
Web interface from INTERNET port?

Post by azism » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:17 am

Under the Telo setup screen (http://setup.ooma.com) is an advanced section. In it is one question or option saying "Allow access to web interface from INTERNET port ". Of what use is this option? Or should I say what is it there for? It must have some use, but I'm not going to activate it. Too bad Ooma doesn't provide better documentation with the Telo so a user understands all these options and why or what they are used for.

:o
Tucson, AZ
Customer Since: March 13, 2009
Ooma Hardware: Telo; Linx; Bluetooth Adapter
Service: Lifetime Premier since April 2009

murphy

Re: Web interface from INTERNET port?

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:51 am

When the Telo is located behind your router and the Home port is not used it allows access to the setup pages by going to the IP address that the router assigned to the Telo.

If the Telo is in front of the router it should never be checked.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

azism

Post by azism » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Let's see now, I guess I need to map out my setup.

It goes as follows:
  • From the Cox Cable box on the side of the house to the Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 Modem (white cable);
    Then from the Modem to the Ooma Telo "To Internet" connection side (black cable);
    Then from the Ooma Telo "Home Network" side to the Security system (another white cable);
    Then from the Security system to the Router (yellow cable);
    Then from the Router to the Computer (blue cable).
Wow, what a circuitous route. I guess it is surprising anything works properly. As I read your reply, leave the box unchecked. Thanks for the reply!
Tucson, AZ

azism

Post by azism » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:37 am

A followup here regard the Telo and the wireless adapter. In order for the phone system to work, do I still need the telephone's base unit plugged into the Linx?
Tucson, AZ

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:28 am

azism wrote:A followup here regard the Telo and the wireless adapter. In order for the phone system to work, do I still need the telephone's base unit plugged into the Linx?
You are talking about the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB Dongle that you plug into the Ooma Telo USB port?

The Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB Dongle is completely separate and independent from the Linx device.

The Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB Dongle is used for capturing a Wi-Fi signal, usually from your router, for the Ooma Telo Internet connection, instead of the Network cable Internet connection to the Ooma Telo Internet port.

If you are using a Linx device, you always have to have the telephones base, or a telephone, connected to the Linx device phone port, to make and receive calls using the Linx.

azism

Post by azism » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 am

So far I have not been able to get the phone system to work with the wireless adapter (dongle). All I get with this adapter is a busy signal and the Ooma logo blinking red. The is with or without the Linx. I don't have a hardwired phone system in my house so my phone system is completely wireless. So my guess is at the moment that the wireless adapter (dongle) will only work with the Ooma phones themselves, not my AT&T Dect 6 phones?
Tucson, AZ

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 pm

azism wrote:So far I have not been able to get the phone system to work with the wireless adapter (dongle). All I get with this adapter is a busy signal and the Ooma logo blinking red. The is with or without the Linx. I don't have a hardwired phone system in my house so my phone system is completely wireless. So my guess is at the moment that the wireless adapter (dongle) will only work with the Ooma phones themselves, not my AT&T Dect 6 phones?
Can you describe what kind of issues you might be having in doing this step?

How do I set up my Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter?
To get started setting up your Ooma Telo Wireless Adapter, follow these instructions:

1.Plug the Adapter into the USB port on the back of your Telo
2.Using an Ethernet cable, connect the HOME NETWORK port on the back of your Telo to a computer
3.Use the computer and open up a browser to setup.ooma.com
4.Click on the Wireless tab on the left side of your screen and follow the directions to connect the Telo to your wireless network
Once your Telo has connected to your home Wi-Fi network, you’ve gone wireless! If you need additional assistance, you can find help in the Quick Start Guide that came with your device.

azism

Post by azism » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm

1.Plug the Adapter into the USB port on the back of your Telo DID THAT!
2.Using an Ethernet cable, connect the HOME NETWORK port on the back of your Telo to a computer DID THAT!
3.Use the computer and open up a browser to setup.ooma.com DID THAT!
4.Click on the Wireless tab on the left side of your screen and follow the directions to connect the Telo to your wireless network DID THAT!

Once your Telo has connected to your home Wi-Fi network, you’ve gone wireless! If you need additional assistance, you can find help in the Quick Start Guide that came with your device. DID THAT!

The instructions seem simple enough, but I'm getting nowhere. That Quick Start Guide sure leaves a lot to be desired. At this point in time I am thinking I'd be better off returning the Wireless Adapter and staying with the Linx.
Tucson, AZ

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Once you specify which wifi network to connect to and you provide the password to the network, Telo should remember which network to connect to and all you have to do at that point is to disconnect the ethernet cable from Telo and then Telo should connect wirelessly to your router.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm not understanding the connection between the wireless and the Linx.... they are two different things and operate independently. Maybe I'm the one that's confused......

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member