Blocking Feature Request - Name Only, Wildcards, etc.

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
donswin
Blocking Feature Request - Name Only, Wildcards, etc.

Post by donswin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 am

I have a call screening program that runs via an usb modem that is one of the most powerful I've found. The only problem is that the phone has to ring once to get the CID. That is why I switched to Ooma (besides the fact that AT&T charges an outrageous monthly fee for additional blocked numbers).

The features I would like to see are:

1. Block based on CID Name only (no number required). A common one is "Toll Free Caller". Anyone using that has to business contacting me - so far they have all been robo-calls. I have a 3 year log of calls & never received a legitimate "Toll Free Caller".

2. Block based on non-standard CID phone numbers (ie: 12digit #s, single digit "1", less than 10 digits, not in standard 3+3+4 format, etc.).

3. Allow wildcards to block an entire area code (previously requested by another customer): (ie:111-???-????).

4. Allow a "White List" of callers who would not be blocked even if they meet blocking criteria.

5. I just started Ooma this month but saw a request for a log of blocked calls. That would be very helpful so we could occasionally verify that wanted calls are not being blocked (see request #4). It would also allow customers to shorten our blocked list if we have listed numbers that are no longer in service or being used. I just entered nearly 200 numbers in my blocked list & I could see that growing significantly over the years.

Thanks for your consideration.

lbmofo

Re: Blocking Feature Request - Name Only, Wildcards, etc.

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:16 pm

FYI, exception of "Name Only," future plans pretty covers it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14441&start=10#p104475

donswin

Post by donswin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks. The more I learn about Ooma, the more l'm glad I changed.

I missed that thread in my search.

ConnieIL

Post by ConnieIL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 am

Because of the spam robo calls that seem to change numbers at will, a blocking feature just based on the caller ID would be very welcomed.

Received a caller ID "R2J2 Company", and found after a search this is a current 2013 robo call with variable numbers - message is the same. Name blocking would be helpful, if only for a while :? .

knaught

Post by knaught » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 am

Throwing in my vote for more robust call blocking. Blocking by name or prefix are essential in order for it to be effective against wily telemarketers.

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Name blocking will be of limited effectiveness - those are usually made up as well.
Steve

knaught

Post by knaught » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 am

Wow, what responsiveness...I put in a feature request for wildcard blocking yesterday and it's implemented overnight! ;) Thanks, guys, for making this HUGE improvement!