Thank you OOMA for improving blacklisting--keep it coming

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Hal2
Thank you OOMA for improving blacklisting--keep it coming

Post by Hal2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:30 am

Got an e-mail from Ooma this morning rolling out some of the Blacklist enhancements that have been popular requests. Time will tell if they're all working correctly. And there is still room for improvement of blacklisting such as in lifting or at least increasing blacklist limits, removing Community blacklist numbers from Personal lists, and so on. But THANK YOU OOMA for listening and rolling out several of the more popular and needed requests such as wildcarding. I hope Ooma will make a marketing push to sell more Premier service, because it is worth the price for the Blacklist features.

I have noticed a decline over the past couple of months in telemarketing calls, and I assume it is because the Community blacklist feature has been used more aggressively by Ooma. Thank you again.

PJ1

Re: Thank you OOMA for improving blacklisting--keep it coming

Post by PJ1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:13 am

This is a fantastic feature and greatly enhances the capabilities of the personal blacklist. ! :D

Thanks!!!

sailcat25

Post by sailcat25 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:42 am

I don't see this feature available for me. I have Premier. Is this being rolled out as a software update?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:44 am

sailcat25

Post by sailcat25 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 am

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

mobile-ed

Post by mobile-ed » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:22 am

Yes, thank you very much! Hope to see white listing feature. Then I wouldn't need a blacklist. :D

knaught

Post by knaught » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 am

Wow, what responsiveness...I put in a feature request for wildcard blocking yesterday and it's implemented overnight! Thanks, guys, for making this HUGE improvement!

Stephen C

Post by Stephen C » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 am

I have been an Ooma user for about 8 years. The Telemarketing Black list block feature is the only reason I pay for Premiere. I have found it does not work. I am on the National Do Not Call list yet I still get at least 8 telemarketing robo calls a day. These calls are not from companies that I have any established business with. I block the incoming calls and list them as telemarketing calls with Ooma but the telemarketers use so many numbers that it seems futile.
What's going on? Does the community black list for telemarketing even work?

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:05 am

After looking at calls that I want to receive, I was able to blacklist most area codes and send them to voicemail. I used 0*, 1*, 3*, 4*, 6*, 8*, 9* to send calls from those area codes to voicemail. It seems that most spam calls do not leave a voicemail, so it works pretty good. Area codes beginning with 2, 5 and 7 are allowed through.

EDIT: I refined this a bit further to block area codes that I do not receive calls from that begin with 2, 5 or 7. I receive calls from the 25* area code, but not from 20*, 21*, 22* ... So I blocked all of the area codes beginning with twenty something except for 25. I used the same logic for the area codes beginning with 5 and 7.
Last edited by mike_b on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

oshunluvr

Post by oshunluvr » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:11 pm

I agree with Stephen C.

The new wildcard feature of blacklisting is a huge move in the right direction. Now if we could get some help with blocking the robo dialers so we don't have to keep blacklisting them, it would be a big help.

Oh and OOMA...

...a limit of 256 numbers? Really? I'll pay the cost of a 2TB hard drive so I can list about a billion numbers, OK? Seriously, it's time to free up some server space for larger lists.