Need computer hard wired to modem

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Larryp
Need computer hard wired to modem

Post by Larryp » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:43 pm

For the fastest internet connection, I've found via speedtest.com, I need my computer hard wired into my router. My office and computer is upstairs - I want my ooma hub downstairs. How can I do this? Can I set up my Ooma Hub to work any other way instead of directly plugged into my router?

bw1

Re: Need computer hard wired to modem

Post by bw1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:03 pm

If having the hub plugged into the router works for you (may affect call quality if your router doesn't support QOS), you could run an ethernet wire (or cable) from upstairs to downstairs and plug the ethernet in to connect the hub to router.

If you're looking for the answering functionality of the hub downstairs, you could also use the scout connected to the wall jack for the house's phone wiring.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:15 pm

I have to ask the reason the hub has to be down stairs? You could easily put the hub upstairs and use the scout downstairs. It all works the same as far as call answering and voicemail as long as you do not have a number assigned to the hub only.

Wayne

Larryp

Post by Larryp » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Now I get it.... All my phones run through my one base phone so none of my extentions are connected to a phone jack. However, I can purchase another phone, connect it and the scout to a phone jack, and that solves my problem ! Thanks for helping me out !