New HD2 doesn't feed back touch tones on active call?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
ggmpd
New HD2 doesn't feed back touch tones on active call?

Post by ggmpd » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 pm

I just purchased an HD2 handset and I noticed today on a call that when I press the keypad (to select menu items for example on a call to my bank) I don't hear touch tones when I press the keys on the keypad - just clicks. It still appears to work but I would think there'd be some option setting where I could hear the touch tone being generated. The info on my handset is: BASE version 66439, HS version 66211 and RFP version 66216. When I first got the handset I noticed it did do a firmware update so I assume those are the latest firmware versions.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: New HD2 doesn't feed back touch tones on active call?

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 am

see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14955
Fix detection of digits pressed during a call when HD2 handset key clicks are enabled [15547]

Generating the actual tones would feed into the mic and interfere with detection on the remote side.

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Tom B wrote:Generating the actual tones would feed into the mic and interfere with detection on the remote side.
So change the HD2 firmware to sound key generated touch tones in the speaker, but mute the mic (both internal and headset) while they are being sent. Users can mute the mic, so you must be able to do it.

No other phone I've used has had a problem with this, even when on speakerphone.

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Tom B wrote:see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14955
Fix detection of digits pressed during a call when HD2 handset key clicks are enabled [15547]

Generating the actual tones would feed into the mic and interfere with detection on the remote side.

As someone who has designed a good deal of telephone equipment from handsets to switches, analog and digital- I can tell you authoritatively that if "Generating the actual tones would feed into the mic and interfere with detection on the remote side" is a true statement- somebody messed up the design. I submit that even el-cheapo wired and wireless home telephones can do that trick with no problem at all.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 pm

Telo_BK wrote:
Tom B wrote:see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14955

As someone who has designed a good deal of telephone equipment from handsets to switches, analog and digital- I can tell you authoritatively that if "Generating the actual tones would feed into the mic and interfere with detection on the remote side" is a true statement- somebody messed up the design. I submit that even el-cheapo wired and wireless home telephones can do that trick with no problem at all.
"Could you explain why HD2 works differently than regular handsets" would have done the trick IMHO.

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:03 am

lbmofo wrote:"Could you explain why HD2 works differently than regular handsets" would have done the trick IMHO.
And yet you waited until now to post that? Thanks. :? "Works differently" is quite broad, don'cha think?