Question about a third personal (virtual) phone number

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
mogur
Question about a third personal (virtual) phone number

Post by mogur » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:58 pm

We presently have a Telo with two lines with separate numbers. We also have four HD handsets setup with three on one of the numbers and the fourth on the second number. The two numbers ring the separate handset associated with that number

I need to add a third already existing number to our system. One possibility is a second Telo but that would be an expensive option... The second option would to add a Personal Number add-on and then have the existing number ported over to it.

Assuming I do the Personal Number and port, the question would become, home does the Ooma system handle this third number?

Does it have it's own voiceless account with the ability to email voicemails as the present two numbers do?
To which of the two existing numbers and related handsets would it ring?
Can I tie one of the handsets to this number as I did with the other two so it would ring only that handset and not the other two numbers?

Basically, I am looking for more information on how personal numbers work and can be configured so I can see if this solution will work for me...

Thanks!
Tom

lbmofo

Re: Question about a third personal (virtual) phone number

Post by lbmofo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Purchase the personal number option and port your 3rd number in.
You will get charged $4.99 a month once number ported in or added to your account.
You can assign this number to a HD2 and have separate vm and my ooma account.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Note however that there can't be more than two simultaneous calls in progress.
There are only two pipes to the Ooma server, line 1 and line 2.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mogur

Post by mogur » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:34 pm

OK, thanks. More than two calls simultaneously is not an issue as that will never happen. One other question, since the only POTS available is a single line that exits the Telo, is it possible to configure which of the three numbers that will be?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:56 pm

You would have to call customer support to change which number is the main number.
Also make sure customer support understands what you want when porting in a number. The default is to make the ported in number the main number and move the current main number to the secondary position.

You would have to give up one of your HD handsets but a Linx will provide another hardwired phone line.
The Telo supports a maximum of 4 devices in any combination of HD2 handset and Linx.

Are you aware that all three numbers could be left in the main shared pool along with all of the HD2 handsets.
All numbers would ring all phones. After answering the first call a second call on any of the numbers would ring the remaining phones. This is the instant second line feature. You do lose the ability to have separate voicemail in this mode though.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Before you purchase the number port for your 3rd number, make sure you go buy 1 personal number add-on (won't be charged the monthly $4.99 charge for 3rd+ number until you actually add a number to your account via porting or assigning a number from Ooma's pool of numbers).

If you don't, buy the personal number add-on, once porting completes, your ported in number becomes the primary, your current primary becomes secondary and your current secondary number would be pushed off your account. Not to say you won't be able to get it back because there is aging invovled before reassignment but why deal with the headache.

https://my.ooma.com/products

Personal Number

With your subscription to Ooma Premier, you get a second phone number for free. If you need more, your Ooma system is up to the task.

You can add up to 8 additional numbers, from any calling area in the US or Canada, to your account. Direct each number to ring on any extension in your home (Ooma Telo Handset or Ooma Scout required) or set custom ring patterns so you know who the call is for.

Each additional phone number is available for the low monthly charge of $4.99.

mogur

Post by mogur » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:39 pm

"You would have to give up one of your HD handsets but a Linx will provide another hardwired phone line.
The Telo supports a maximum of 4 devices in any combination of HD2 handset and Linx."

M: OK, how does one select which of the three numbers will be the Linx?

"Are you aware that all three numbers could be left in the main shared pool along with all of the HD2 handsets.
All numbers would ring all phones."

M: Yes,I am aware of that, but we need different voice mail for each one of the three lines as they are used for different purposes. Also some of the lines are not normally answered and other are.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:34 pm

mogur wrote:"You would have to give up one of your HD handsets but a Linx will provide another hardwired phone line.
The Telo supports a maximum of 4 devices in any combination of HD2 handset and Linx."

Configure the Linx as a personal device and then assign the number to the Linx in your my.ooma account.

mogur

Post by mogur » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:06 pm

OK, got it. The Linx basically acts like one of the Handsets but has a POTS connector on it instead. It's too bad they have the four handset limit...
murphy wrote:
mogur wrote:"You would have to give up one of your HD handsets but a Linx will provide another hardwired phone line.

Configure the Linx as a personal device and then assign the number to the Linx in your my.ooma account.