HD2 Handset Batteries

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
MapleOne
HD2 Handset Batteries

Post by MapleOne » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Some feedback for the Ooma guys

I have 4 HD2 handsets and without fail all four sets of batteries have died in the three months I have owned the units.

I noticed they are plain black, made in China knockoffs that basically fail very fast. I went out and bought some name brand rechargeable to replace them with.

Don't know if you guys know about that but you may want to switch battery suppliers on the handsets because the ones that come with it are all shoddy.

lbmofo

Re: HD2 Handset Batteries

Post by lbmofo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Can you post Amazon permalink to the ones you bought?

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:27 pm

I just bought standard Duracel AA Reachables, I had them in my old phones and they last for years.

The ones that came with the handsets are made by a company called Shen Zhen EPT Battery Co. Ltd and they are marked NIMH which I find hard to believe because Nickel Metal Hydride batteries should last for years.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Twice over a period of a month, I've been using the same HD2 handset for just a few minutes, then hung up and made another call. During the second call the HD2 handset quit in mid sentence. Both times the HD2 handset was completely dead. Both times I switched batteries and the HD2 handset remained dead. I placed the HD handset on the charge cardle. Both times, in just maybe ten minutes, the HD2 handset came back alive and showed full charge? After the last failure, I also switched charging cradles and am waiting to see if history will repeat itself.

rpiotro

Post by rpiotro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 am

What a coincidence. I went to the forum this morning looking for discussion on this subject.

I purchased three HD2 handsets and have had them in service for about three weeks. After the first charge they lasted for several days. Now the most used handset showed zero battery after a full charge and a 54 minute call.

Another went phone went completely dead after being on off the cradle on standby for only 36 hours!

Can anybody else confirm a problem with these batteries?
"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:35 am

My first batteries died at two weeks, some of the others lasted up to a couple months. Basically they all failed within a couple months.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:47 pm

I took another different HD2 handset out of it's charging cradle and left it setting on the desk for about two hours. When I came back to use the HD2 handset, it was dead. Replacing the batteries brought the HD2 handset back to life.

LBarouf

Post by LBarouf » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 pm

I just got a HD2 handset and found that with rechargeable batteries, I get lots of static, and people can barely hear me. No matter what batteries. I have to say, I tried like 10 of them, but all Duracell brand. When I use fresh non rechargeable batteries, it works clearly. When they reach 50%, then same crap again.

Anyone else seen such issues? I know rechargeable are often rated at 1.2v instead of 1.5v, could it be it?

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:37 am

Battery management on the HD2 is horrible. It gives wrong level readings. It overcharges and "cooks" batteries. Taking the batteries out and putting them back in doesn't help much.

Here is how I learned to deal with it.

Take the batteries out and replace them. Wait one minute so it can detect the charge level. Place it on the charging cradle. When it indicates 100% when you replace it on the cradle UNPLUG THE CHARGER or just don't sit it back on the cradle. When the battery indicator turns brown (50% charge), put it back on the cradle or plug the charger in. When the indicator shows 100%, stop charging it!

You can tell the batteries are fully charged when they are slightly warm. That is because unlike a properly designed charger, the HD2 keeps charging the batteries and since they can't hold any more the charging current is converted to heat. Rechargeable batteries should NEVER remain on charge once they have reached 100% capacity. That is why your cell phone battery is probably ice cold even after leaving it plugged in to the charger overnight. When the cell phone charging circuit determined the battery was full it shut off.

Too bad the HD2 isn't as smart.

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:15 am

Just one more reason that ooma needs to wake up and stop sourcing their equipment from Vtech. Vtech always has been junk, and apparently always will be. And in the case of ooma, grossly overpriced junk also. if they would just dump Vtech and go to Panasonic, I'd wager that an awful lot of the phone issues would be eliminated.
I don't mind getting old, but my body is taking it badly