The most INCREDIBLE feature suggestion discussion

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
MapleOne
The most INCREDIBLE feature suggestion discussion

Post by MapleOne » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:36 am

OK guys...

Do you think you have an above average suggestion for a feature (I mean something that is waaaaay outside the box) then please chirp in here.

Here is mine.....

For all the people that want COMPLETE PRIVACY I would like to suggest an access code pin.

In other words... when you call the Ooma asks for a 4 digit access code. If you have it then it rings, if you don't it goes to voicemail.

Now all telemarketers and everyone else cannot disturb you. Give family members an access code and they can get through.

Take this feature to the next level and allow custom access codes to be set in the control panel where I can give different codes to different people. So if I have custom furniture on order the company can get through. But when my furniture arrives and I don't want any solicitation call I delete that access code and they go straight to voicemail.

Pretty revolutionary idea, don't you think?

lbmofo

Re: The most INCREDIBLE feature suggestion discussion

Post by lbmofo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:05 am

This request would only compliment the whitelist in that you may not know the calling number of person/party that you would like to whitelist. Whitelist is still the main component here because it would eliminate the pain of people having to remember your code.

If Ooma was to implement this, probably at the blacklist treatment level...addition of "require access code" and this code would be at the account level that you periodically change.

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 am

My idea is still better because it is not phone number dependent.
If I whitelist a relatives phone number and they try to call me from a cell then it would go to voicemail. I would have to whitelist all their numbers and it would not help if they were calling from a friends house. An access code past voicemail is the best way because it allows access to only the people you want and from any phone number.

Remember that I'm only suggesting totally new and innovative features for this topic. I thought something like this has never been done and would totally eliminate all solicitors. No blacklist can ever do that and a whitelist would have to be forever managed due to all the phone numbers. A pin number for anyone you want calls from is easy and foolproof.

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:28 am

If you believe that nobody has ever offered a required PIN feature for call blocking (not just a new feature for Ooma), let me point out that it's available as part of the Call Privacy package from Bell Canada, and probably others.
https://www.bell.ca/Home_phone/Products/Call_Privacy

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:22 am

I never noticed that before but it's still not the same. They only allow 1 three digit access code. What I am talking about is a managed system through the control panel that allows you to give out multiple access codes with the ability to delete them when you no longer want contact from a specific person.

The fact that Bell Canada offers a single PIN just shows that my idea has merit and there is a demand for this type of service.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:01 pm

I suppose this "PIN Privacy" feature can be implemented and co-exist with the upcoming "Whitelist" feature. Perhaps Ooma can allow up to 5 different 4 digit PINs (at least 1 if feature enabled); allow add, delete, and modify. The treatment options for "PIN Privacy" (as well as the "Whitelist") can be either VM or "rejection/good-bye" message. The order of precedence would be "PIN Privacy," "Whitelist," "Community Blacklist," then "Personal Blacklist."

Here is what I think the call flow could look like:

Ooma Call Flow - PIN Privacy and Whitelist.jpg
Ooma Call Flow - PIN Privacy and Whitelist.jpg (55.13KiB)Viewed 13483 times
[/size]

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 am

I'd want "Whitelist" ahead of "PIN privacy". Ideally, make the order configurable. Or even better, put "PIN privacy" first but add a checkbox to each whitelist entry to indicate "no PIN required" for that entry.

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:48 am

PIN privacy should come first because it's meant to trump all settings. However if you do not issue pins then it would be a non issue because your white list would work as always.

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 am

But I don't want trusted people in my whitelist needing to enter a PIN every time they call. However, I still want others to be able to ring through if they know the PIN, such as people in my whitelist calling from a pay phone or friend's house.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:55 am

Although I proposed the order of precedence as "PIN Privacy," "Whitelist," "Community Blacklist," then "Personal Blacklist," if they are not enabled, they won't take effect as the flow points out.