Bad voice quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Pi-Oui
Re: Bad voice quality

Post by Pi-Oui » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:55 pm

I have called today my Internet provider and they checked my modem and it is supposed to be good... but the guy (after telling my story) give me a chance and decided to send a technician to change the modem anyway (great services there too ;-) )

We have tested my connection with Google-ping and effectively sometimes peaks appear 5 to 7 % of time ( peaks like 800-900 ms)... but there was no peak with the modem only, it was regular (about 50 ms)... but anyway we will change the modem...

My question is : after changing the modem and if it's good, then the connections before the modem (from street to my modem : cable) are good ?

Thanks again.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Pi-Oui wrote:I have called today my Internet provider and they checked my modem and it is supposed to be good... but the guy (after telling my story) give me a chance and decided to send a technician to change the modem anyway (great services there too ;-) )

We have tested my connection with Google-ping and effectively sometimes peaks appear 5 to 7 % of time ( peaks like 800-900 ms)... but there was no peak with the modem only, it was regular (about 50 ms)... but anyway we will change the modem...

My question is : after changing the modem and if it's good, then the connections before the modem (from street to my modem : cable) are good ?

Thanks again.
When the Technician comes to Change the Modem, have him also look, inspect/repair as needed, the Internet cable coming in from the street to the Modem.

Pi-Oui

Post by Pi-Oui » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:32 am

To all, but specially for Thunderbird !

The technician has change my modem, and it seems to solve the problem. And he has explained to me why :

Before OOMA I was with the same company for all (TV-INTERNET and IP phone). Then I had a modem with cable and IP Phone (in the same). He tell me that's why I have some failure sometimes because I have not the IP phone services with them and sometimes the modem has to reach if there is some connection with phone and there is nothing : that's why the kind of lag.

Now I have only a cable-modem and everything seems fine.

I will come here again in some days to tell you if it's ok again !

Thanks again Thunderbird (maybe my kind of problem will serve you in the future) . You were very very helpfull for me !

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Pi-Oui glad it worked out for you. :)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:02 am

Pi-Oui wrote:The technician has change my modem, and it seems to solve the problem. And he has explained to me why :

Before OOMA I was with the same company for all (TV-INTERNET and IP phone). Then I had a modem with cable and IP Phone (in the same). He tell me that's why I have some failure sometimes because I have not the IP phone services with them and sometimes the modem has to reach if there is some connection with phone and there is nothing : that's why the kind of lag.

Now I have only a cable-modem and everything seems fine.
I suppose whenever someone with cable ISP and cable phone services tries out Ooma to satisfaction and call quality goes out the window as soon as they port their cable phone number into Ooma (stop cable phone service), we should suggest a cable modem swap to a standalone cable modem (cable modem without phone capability).

From thread: Call Quality Terrible Directly After Number Porting
Twindad71 wrote:Just wanted to post here and thank everyone for their assistance. Armed with the advice and feedback I received here I called my ISP to inform them that the issue was definitely with either their modem or the service. Gave them 3 options: (a) new modem, (b) improve service, or (c) I would switch to another ISP. They had a tech out here two days later on their dime. He couldn't find any problems with the service, so he swapped the telephony-style modem for a different brand without the telephone jack, and presto...problem solved!
I've updated my "Voice Quality Issues" post with this info: viewtopic.php?t=10023

sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 am

We're also having voice quality issues including delays and echos on both sides of the line. Wife is not impressed.
Here's all the info from the speedtest site I think it rated my internet as pretty decent quality but delays, echos etc continue.
Download Speed: ___965_____________
Upload Speed: 739________________
Download Consistency of Service 96%_______
Upload Consistency of Service 99%_________
Maximum TCP Delay 51ms _____________
Jitter you server .4ms __________
Jitter server you .5ms _________
Packet loss: you server 0.0_______
Packet loss: server you 0.0______
Packet discards 0.0_________
Packets out of order 0.0_________
Estimated MOS score 4.2 ________

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:52 am

sleepingdog wrote:We're also having voice quality issues including delays and echos on both sides of the line. Wife is not impressed.
Here's all the info from the speedtest site I think it rated my internet as pretty decent quality but delays, echos etc continue.
Download Speed: ___965_____________
Upload Speed: 739________________
The download and upload speeds are good. But if there are a lot of users that join the Internet trunk that is routed to your home, these values could be seen as much lower. When you are having problems, try running Phonepower Speed test again to see if there is a difference.

The delays and echos that you are exeriencing could be caused by the phone.

I am listing things that have helped others in the past.

Temporarily try connecting a corded phone, to the Ooma Telo Phone port, with no other phones connected. Make sure that if you are using a wireless phone system(s), in the home where the Ooma device is located, make sure the wireless phone base(s) have the power removed for this test. Then make and receive calls for testing. Note: Make sure that you remove power from all cordless phone bases in your home for this test.

Electrical/electronic equipment located to close to the Ooma device have been found to cause echo and delay.
Move all electrical/electronic equipment at least three to four feet from the Ooma device.
Test again and see if there is a difference.

A few times it has been found that when using an Ooma Telo along with a router that has Wi-Fi, that there will be a conflict. Try going into your router's wireless setup and changing the wireless frequency from the Automatic setting, to one of the listed frequencies, and then test.

jackchristensen

Post by jackchristensen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:09 pm

So,
My wife can hardly tolerate OOMA. During some calls there are blips and beeps, missed words, it's almost impossible to hear the other party and we often resort to our cell phone. Here are my stats:

Download Speed: __9.48______________
Upload Speed: _______7.2_________
Download Consistency of Service __99______
Upload Consistency of Service ____91_____
Maximum TCP Delay ______9ms_______
Jitter you server _______3.2ms___
Jitter server you _____0.7ms____
Packet loss: you server___0___
Packet loss: server you __0____
Packet discards ____.2%_____
Packets out of order ___0______
Estimated MOS score __4.2______

They probably aren't this good when we're having problems. I"m served by Comcast. But this is hardly a situation that's acceptable when something like 1/4 of our calls are terrible. Any ideas??
Jack

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:18 pm

jackchristensen, I see from your previous post that you have your Ooma right after the modem.

Try this "Optimal Setup" setup (do the Ooma QoS, built in MAC address):

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

If you change your mind and connect Ooma to your router:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If you still have issues, maybe your modem is not up to par. viewtopic.php?t=10023

copters

Post by copters » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Update 5/7/13
Someone on one of the boards here indicated that if you are using Comcast as your internet provider AND had their VoIP phone service prior to switching to OOMA, that you should replace the Comcast Combination Modem (internet and voice), with a simple, plain old standard Comcast modem (most generally Motorola branded).

After months of horrible OOMA service, where we could not even use the OOMA for calls, I trotted down to the Comcast office and asked them to replace the combo modem with the plain standard modem. They told me that I already replaced the combo modem (yep, did that before with no benefit to call quality) and then the lady said the combo modem is a better modem. After convincing her that I didn't need the combo modem, she gave me the standard modem.

I hooked it up to my network in the typical fashion MODEM>ROUTER>OOMA and guess what? The Ooma sounds great! It has worked perfectly ever since. Great quality and very usable.

So, if you are one of the users that is having voice quality problems, specifically on the uplink where it drops whole words and the external party cannot understand what you are saying AND you were a Comcast voice subscriber AND you had one of the combo modems, then exchange it with a standard modem, hook it up and you should have no problems. I will now keep my OOMA. Note to OOMA support. You may wish to document this in your Knowledge Base, as this is a simply fix and seems to work in resolving this specific problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VEGGIEIB2, I totally agree. It's time to say good bye and good riddens to Ooma. With over 3 months of use, and voice quality problems from the beginning, specifically with voice drop outs from the Ooma originated call to the outside party, it is simply unusable. The standard blog support of run the speed test, post the results, then replace your modem, cat 5 cable, reboot your modem to default settings is downright insulting. I have no problems with my Comcast Internet for EVERYTHING else. 20mb download speeds. 5mb upload speeds. But, can the Ooma process any calls without dropping every 5th word in its' entirety. No.

TO THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET PURCHASED AN OOMA. SAVE YOURSELF THE GRIEF. Buy something else. Vonage? Hell, even a Magic Jack can't be worse.

For those who are supposed to provide Support to the Ooma users. Go to your management and tell them the product is not working as advertised and as it should be expected to work. This product is simply useless. Grab a couple of tin cans and a string and your voice quality will be better than with the Ooma Telo. Calling this product garbage is an insult to trash everywhere.