Home alarm monitoring and Ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jadaou
Home alarm monitoring and Ooma

Post by jadaou » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:19 pm

I've been reading a lot about connecting my home alarm monitoring system to Ooma, but I haven't figured it out yet. My current alarm panel is connected to my landline. It looks like the alarm company spliced a connection off a line through my house. I'm assuming the splice is done on the line prior to it reaching any of the phone jacks. Can I simply make the same splice on the telephone line coming out of Ooma? I have a line coming out of the Ooma going into one phone at the moment, so I'm thinking of splicing the line to the alarm panel and then having it continue to the phone.

As a side question, let's say my Internet goes out, and Ooma loses the line, what will happen with the monitoring station? Will they receive any signal? Just a general question, what happens when a monitoring station loses the phone line?

Thanks for the info.

murphy

Re: Home alarm monitoring and Ooma

Post by murphy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 am

jadaou wrote:As a side question, let's say my Internet goes out, and Ooma loses the line, what will happen with the monitoring station? Will they receive any signal? Just a general question, what happens when a monitoring station loses the phone line?
The monitoring station will not know that your phone line is out of service. The default test call-in period for many alarm systems is every 4 weeks. In the worst case it would be 4 weeks before they knew anything was wrong. The panel calls the monitoring station when there is something to report. At all other times there is no connection to the monitoring station.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jadaou

Post by jadaou » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try and splice my alarm panel into the line coming out of Ooma. Basically if my alarm is triggered, the panel should cut off the line and call back the monitoring station, right?

I've read about a setting I need to check off on the Telo settings page to allow alarm monitoring but I couldn't find the checkbox. Is the option still there? Do I need to check the box off in my case? I'm gonna do some testing tonight after work and I'll post back my results.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:06 am

If you don't have a wire closet, a popular alarm setup is found in this thread. /viewtopic.php?t=15190#p105813
A home run wire from the NID goes to the alarm panel carrying telephone company dialtone, then comes back to NID with dialtone controlled by alarm panel sent back to the house.
If you have this setup, I suggest that you send Ooma dialtone to NID on pair 2, connect to the alarm home run pair 1 then alarm panel returned dialtone to your house wire pair 1.