Code Red Alert Calls Cause Ooma Telo to Reboot

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
terryesh
Code Red Alert Calls Cause Ooma Telo to Reboot

Post by terryesh » Mon May 27, 2013 3:47 pm

On two different occasions, 2 months apart, calls from Code Red Alert warning of severe weather cause Ooma Telo device to reset. The phone rings. The moment the call is answered the line is silent and the device reboots. The Code Red Alert system calls back in 3 - 5 minutes causing yet another reboot. Obviously, the nature of the call to warn of pending danger. If the call cannot be completed and it temporarily shuts down the Telo service, there is an issue in need of addressing.

Ooma cannot identify or explain why; Emergency Communications Network, the service provider making the Code Red Alert calls, also cannot figure out how an inbound call would cause the device to reset. So, I turn to the forum for an explanation that hopefully will lead to resolving the problem.

Thank you,

Terry

lbmofo

Re: Code Red Alert Calls Cause Ooma Telo to Reboot

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 am

No other incoming calls cause Telo to reboot?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 am

terryesh:
I suspect that ECN sends out a signal to activate devices like weather radios along with the phone message that may be causing the problem????

Probably Ooma and ECH will have to get together to works out the "Bugs".

ECN's Webb address is http://www.ecnetwork.com/ .

Send Dennis P. Ooma Chief Engineer, an e-mail describing the problem and ask him to have some one to work on this issue. Let Dennis know that this is for emergency notifications and must function properly with the Ooma Devices.
Dennis P. e-mail address is at:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 am

thunderbird wrote:I suspect that ECN sends out a signal to activate devices like weather radios along with the phone message that may be causing the problem????

Probably Ooma and ECH will have to get together to works out the "Bugs".

ECN's Webb address is http://www.ecnetwork.com/
How did you arrive to that conclusion? I can't find the info you must have looked at.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 pm

What is the phone number these calls come in from?

terryesh

Post by terryesh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:19 pm

No other inbound calls cause Telo to reset.

The ECN inbound number that caused the reset was (800) 566-9780

The ECN service is becoming a popular communication service in the Atlanta area. Our incorporated city within the county, which first offered the Code Red alert, offers the service as from June 1. They are suggesting that residents sign up for both. Given Ooma Telo experiences I am hesitant to do so until Ooma and ECN resolve the problem. With broader use one would expect other Ooma users to experience the problem. Are we the only user reporting this issue?

I would think a solution would be for Ooma engineers to locate a Telo device at ECN where it could be evaluated in a laboratory setting.

The first time this occurred I contacted ECN and spoke with their director of operations. He was puzzled by my report, but configured the system to send a test alert. The test call was delivered normally. We had to experience another weather event to experience Telo reset twice within 5 mins.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Are you feeding Telo's phone port (dialtone) to the rest of the house?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Looks like a buffer overflow. We will investigate. In your contact list the number appeared as 'Emergency Community Notification Weather'. For now I've shortened it to 'Weather Emergency'.

terryesh

Post by terryesh » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Pleased to report that 2 weeks after the second incidence that we received successfully an ECN Weather Alert. The device did not reboot as was the case in the first two calls. Did Ooma or ECN update software to resolve the bug?

Thank you,

Terry

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:04 pm

terryesh wrote:Pleased to report that 2 weeks after the second incidence that we received successfully an ECN Weather Alert. The device did not reboot as was the case in the first two calls. Did Ooma or ECN update software to resolve the bug?

Thank you,

Terry
In the previous post Tom B stated that the name was too long and he shortened it.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx