Turn off Ooma Tone

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
bw1
Re: Turn off Ooma Tone

Post by bw1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:54 pm

If you have an integrated land line, the ooma dial tone won't tell you if you're using the land line or the ooma system to make a phone call, but the connection tone will tell you that.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:05 pm

bw1 wrote:If you have an integrated land line, the ooma dial tone won't tell you if you're using the land line or the ooma system to make a phone call, but the connection tone will tell you that.
The Ooma dial tone tells me that Ooma is working. Assuming Ooma is working all long distance calls will be placed using Ooma which will result in the Ooma connection tone. If Ooma service is out and I pick up the phone I will not get the Ooma dial tone. If I do not hear the Ooma dial tone and place a long distance call it will be a very costly phone call, and I will not hear the Ooma connection tone.

Try it. Unplug your Ooma and pick up the phone to see what you hear. Assuming you are augmenting a landline.

Scott

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I don't augment a landline. My landline is separate from ooma, but since ooma plugs into the wall jack via WALL port, if ooma or my network goes out, my landline kicks in giving me the normal dialtone.

Wayne

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:31 pm

WayneDsr wrote:I don't augment a landline. My landline is separate from ooma, but since ooma plugs into the wall jack via WALL port, if ooma or my network goes out, my landline kicks in giving me the normal dialtone.

Wayne
Ahh.. right. I forgot that you can use it that way.

zappullae

Post by zappullae » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:14 am

southsound wrote:
number9 wrote:I thought the tones were for marketing. When the person you call picks up, hears the tone and asks you what it is you can say "It's my ooma!" "I have no phone bill!" Then ooma makes money without a huge advertising budget and stays in business. Or some thing,...
That may indeed be the reason for the connection tone - and it CAN be turned off in the lounge. Many of us have done so because it is somewhat obtrusive. But the little tune before dialing is not so bothersome and is only heard by the caller.

zappullae wrote:The ooma has to work for that to happen...
If you are having a problem with the ooma working maybe you could describe the situation and we might be able to help. If not, the tech support people are great and wait times are short. Their number is 888 711-6662

I am working with tech support to fix the many problems. We're down to no ring feed back and dropped calls. This has been a labor of love. I'm still a believer but after weeks of poor quality, speed tests, wiring, configuring, support calls, etc, my belief is waning.

zappullae

Post by zappullae » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:18 am

niknak wrote:
zappullae wrote:..Can I turn off the ooma tone I get when I go off hook? I want just a regular dial tone...

The OOMA Tone is a nice confirmation that your system is working

The dial tone is enough confirmation that the system is working. I want the option to turn it off. I don't want to even know ooma is there. I just want it to work when I pick up the phone.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:20 am

zappullae wrote:
niknak wrote:
zappullae wrote:..Can I turn off the ooma tone I get when I go off hook? I want just a regular dial tone...

The OOMA Tone is a nice confirmation that your system is working

The dial tone is enough confirmation that the system is working. I want the option to turn it off. I don't want to even know ooma is there. I just want it to work when I pick up the phone.
I agree. We should be able to turn off everything but the dial tone.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:04 am

Geezzz... I'm beginning to think eventually someone will want to turn that off as well!

Wayne

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:11 am

WayneDsr wrote:Geezzz... I'm beginning to think eventually someone will want to turn that off as well!

Wayne
It is to be expected that as the user base continues to grow we'll see people that like to do things in slightly different ways. All of us are familiar with regular telephone service. That is the basic unchanging thing. Everything else is something new and unique that may not fit into the mold. Ooma should attempt to provide truly the basics to accomodate as many people as possible, while inflicting the least change upon people. This will enable Ooma to embrace the most number of people with the least amount of resistance.

I wonder, would there be a business case to buy an Ooma just for the telephone number and voicemail, but without the dial tone? Just don't hook up the Hub, right? I know you were joking. :)

Cheers,
Scott

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:22 am

I want ooma to focus on what they do.
FREE hi quality voip service. I want them to focus on reliability. I want everyone that purchases ooma to connect and go with no issues.
FREE FREE FREE.

That will attract more new users than a few on off switches that cost ooma money, time and people to implement, which will get passed on to the users.

I understand this is just a request.

Just my opinion.

Wayne