Incorrect caller ID information on INCOMING calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
skellener
Re: Incorrect caller ID information on INCOMING calls

Post by skellener » Tue May 12, 2009 3:28 pm

Anyone who calls me from an iPhone (AT&T) simply shows up as:

Cellphone
000-000-0000

Yes, the word cellphone shows up. The zeros being the cellphone number. It never says who they are. Is that an AT&T cock up?

gx22

Post by gx22 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Ooma is not able to display incoming caller ID names if calls are from cell phones and Vonage. It just shows City,State. But the caller ID names shows up correctly when the same cell phone calls are received on another landline phones. So this name problem is specific to Ooma. Is there any fix for it?

JAStillwell

Post by JAStillwell » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Somehow my original post got hijacked into several other topics. Here's the original again:

We have a problem where we are getting incorrect caller ID information displayed on incoming calls from one of our clients. When someone calls out from their phone system to our Ooma number, the correct phone number for their company shows up, but the wrong name. When they call someone who has Comcast phone, it does the same thing. If they call someone with a Qwest landline (or Cbeyond, another VoIP provider) the information is correct.

So, Ooma and Comcast seem to be using the same caller ID database that has the incorrect name information. Does anyone know what database that is and how we can get it updated so that when they call us, we see the correct name?

If someone could follow-up on this specific question, I would appreciate it!

Jeff

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Ooma uses TargusInfo for their CID information.

However, I am not sure how you can get the incorrect information corrected.
follow me on twitter: @bryanlyle

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:26 pm

It sounds like their telephone service provider needs to update the CID databases

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 am

Most cell phone providers in this area don't broadcast name data in their Caller ID data, including Verizon Wireless, who I use. The names show up as town/state. The only cell provider around here, that I know of, that provides name data is Sprint. When I was with Vonage, my name showed up as "Out of Area", which they said they could do nothing about because they didn't have the ability to update their databases. That, along with their attitude and hidden charges, was the main reason I left them.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

JAStillwell

Post by JAStillwell » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:00 am

bryanlyle wrote:Ooma uses TargusInfo for their CID information.

However, I am not sure how you can get the incorrect information corrected.
I have no idea how to correct it, but the phone provider has updated with Verisign, so I know the correct information is being sent out. I have no idea how TargusInfo, etc., has gotten the incorrect info or how to fix it, but at least I have one database that I can pursue.

Thanks for the info!