Installation Question

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
michelliscreations
Installation Question

Post by michelliscreations » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 pm

I have a Telo that I am trying to set up, but am having logistical issues, and I'm hoping someone might be able to help out.

This is my current setup: I have cable internet, with the cable box on one outlet in my family room and a cable amplifier on the other outlet in my family room. Because of that configuration, we put our internet modem and router upstairs in our guest room, which is now my oldest son's bedroom.

Optimal installation, I gather, would be to set up the ooma between the router and modem in his bedroom, and plug in our phone base in his room. However, I really don't want to add any more technology into his bedroom, and certainly don't want the phone base in his bedroom.

I called the cable company to find out if I could install the modem on the same outlet with the amplifier and was told that I could not. Does that sound right? They told me that I could try swapping them out - move the modem downstairs, and move the amplifier upstairs, but that I might lose service and require a technician to come out to hook it back up.

The other option I had considered was purchasing a Homeplug to set up a wireless connection between the modem/router and the ooma, set up in my kitchen, downstairs, where the phone base currently resides.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to best set up my system? I am desperate to say good-bye to MaBelle ASAP.

Thank you.

thunderbird

Re: Installation Question

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:56 pm

michelliscreations:
You could purchase an Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/file ... ss_qsg.pdf
and place your Ooma Telo where ever you wish.

Or you could connect Modem-Router-Ooma, per https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/file ... _0_0_0.pdf
Step 2.

alchav21

Re: Installation Question

Post by alchav21 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 pm

michelliscreations wrote:I have a Telo that I am trying to set up, but am having logistical issues, and I'm hoping someone might be able to help out.

This is my current setup: I have cable internet, with the cable box on one outlet in my family room and a cable amplifier on the other outlet in my family room. Because of that configuration, we put our internet modem and router upstairs in our guest room, which is now my oldest son's bedroom.
All the Ooma Telo needs is a Router Port, so it can be connected in your Guest Room, and then come out of the Telo RJ11 Jack to a Wall Jack or to a Wireless Base Station. :cool: