Calls to landline number when new Ooma number selected?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
chowbert
Calls to landline number when new Ooma number selected?

Post by chowbert » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 am

Hi. I just installed my Ooma hub last night and have a question. I have an existing landline and selected a new number for the Ooma.

I attached the Ooma as follows: I disconnected the phone line from my home phone and connected it to the "wall" port of the Ooma. I then connected the phone to the "phone" port of the Ooma.

I can now make Ooma calls using the phone. I can also receive calls on the Ooma number. I cannot, however, receive calls made to my landline number on the phone connected to the Ooma. The phone does not ring. Other phones on another outlet (same phone line), not connected to the Ooma, will ring.

Is this expected behavior? Or should a phone connected to Ooma ring for calls made to the Ooma number as well as the landline number?

Thanks.
Albert

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Calls to landline number when new Ooma number selected?

Post by Bobby B » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi Chowbert,

Yep, that is expected behavior. If you chose to configure your ooma Hub with your landline then you'll be able to receive calls on your landline. If you chose not to use a landline, all incoming landline calls to your ooma Hub will be ignored.

Are you looking for a way to receive calls on your landline as well as your new ooma phone number?

-Bobby
Bobby B

chowbert

Post by chowbert » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks for the reply, Bobby.

> Are you looking for a way to receive calls on your landline as well as your new ooma phone number?

Ideally, yes. I like for a phone that's connected to the Ooma to ring when either the landline number or the Ooma number is called. For now, I'm just connecting a phone to a phone jack that's not connected to the Ooma hub or Scout and can receive the landline calls that way.

Is there a technical or marketing reason why the incoming calls to landline numbers are ignored by Ooma?

Thanks again.

thestaton

Post by thestaton » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:12 am

I'm having the same dilemma. How do you change your service that we initially picked in activation?

I'd like to change mine to work with landline...

chuckl

Post by chuckl » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:44 am

Same question as previous poster: how do I change the initial configuration to now support incoming land-line calls?

Clifftr

Post by Clifftr » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:04 pm

I believe it takes a call to ooma tech support to make this sort of change . . .

wschild

Post by wschild » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:55 pm

I am having the same problem. I think Ooma should add the ability for users to change this online.