Strange indictations with incoming calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jegga
Strange indictations with incoming calls

Post by jegga » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 am

Hey all,

I'm a relatively new Ooma subscriber and I'm having an issue that I'm finding to be quite baffling. My setup is as so:

cable modem --> router --> ooma hub

Yes, I have it behind the router (I did quite a bit of reading on these forums before setting it up that way). I have a WRT54GL running Tomato 1.25. I'm experiencing an issue where there are times that incoming calls will just continuously ring and voice mail will never pick up. That's what it sounds like to the person making the incoming call. The receiving ends rings a few times, stops, rings again, stops, and rings one more time. If someone on the receiving end picks up the phone, the outgoing dialtone is heard.

Unfortunately, this issue only happens about half of the time. It also happens if I change my setup to put the ooma hub between the cable modem and router. I still currently have my landline (I'm waiting for my number to port over), and I do have a fax machine on the system but it's auto-answer is turned off.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

niknak

Re: Strange indictations with incoming calls

Post by niknak » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:16 am

This sounds like a problem with Ooma's telephone partner in your rate center.
You should make a list of the times of these incidents and call Ooma customer service. They can trace the call routing

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:28 am

I believe what Niknak is saying is the problem.

I am using a WRT54GL with Tomato 1.25 with Ooma behind it and am having outstanding success with this configuration. Just to confirm you aren't doing something stupid.

Cheers,
Scott

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:29 am

Longshot:
Are you using older cordless phones and a wireless router?
Try disconnecting and shutting off your cordless phones and use a wired phone.

Wayne

jegga

Post by jegga » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:18 am

WayneDsr wrote:Longshot:
Are you using older cordless phones and a wireless router?
Try disconnecting and shutting off your cordless phones and use a wired phone.

Wayne
Tried that one as well. I actually have a newer panasonic cordless set with the base attached to a scout (in the main bedroom) and a wired on the hub (in the office). I've actually even pulled the phone and phone/scout off the system and have had the same problem.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:21 am

Do you have your ooma configured with an integrated land line?

jegga

Post by jegga » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:26 am

niknak wrote:This sounds like a problem with Ooma's telephone partner in your rate center.
You should make a list of the times of these incidents and call Ooma customer service. They can trace the call routing
I have actually called Ooma about this last week and they were able to replicate the problem. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay on the phone (we troubleshot for over an hour) because I had something I had to take my son to. I guess I'll call back and work with the same tech to see if I can get the issue resolved. I wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue and what was done to get it resolved.

I'm glad to see that someone has the same setup as I do (Scott). That confirms that the setup I have does indeed work with no issues. It sounds like it could be a call routing issue with the telephone network carrier and my internet provider.