Blacklist maximum reached

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Lord Vader
Re: Blacklist maximum reached

Post by Lord Vader » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:57 am

That I don't know. I don't use the mobile app at all because I can't see its usefulness.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:00 am

If you lose your blacklist for whatever reason, you maybe able to have Ooma customer service recover for you.

rbarkley671

Post by rbarkley671 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:55 pm

The more important question is why the Black List is limited to only 256, and why are the editing tools for it so crappy! Has anyone seen a rational explanation of this limitation in the era of cheap computing? Also, I use 800notes.com (and google) to check if it's worth blacklisting a number since I'm usually about 10# away from the limit and deleting old # is a PITA. For some obvious spam #s there are pages of reports. Why aren't these in the community blacklist? Certainly Ooma customers have blacklisted many of them. Seems like the threshold of community blacklisting may be too high. Why not have two levels of thresholding. The high level could have one action (e.g. disconnect message) while the low level another (e.g. send to voice mail after so many rings).

phoenixtommy

Post by phoenixtommy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:38 pm

rbarkley671 wrote:The more important question is why the Black List is limited to only 256, and why are the editing tools for it so crappy! Has anyone seen a rational explanation of this limitation in the era of cheap computing? Also, I use 800notes.com (and google) to check if it's worth blacklisting a number since I'm usually about 10# away from the limit and deleting old # is a PITA. For some obvious spam #'s there are pages of reports. Why aren't these in the community blacklist? Certainly Ooma customers have blacklisted many of them. Seems like the threshold of community blacklisting may be too high. Why not have two levels of thresholding. The high level could have one action (e.g. disconnect message) while the low level another (e.g. send to voice mail after so many rings).
Great question and comments.

Thanks for the reference to 800notes.com. Just read the page. Yes, Ooma, why aren't you using this for blacklisting?

I've had my number for 28 years and don't get more than one spam call a week. Same for my second number and cell number which are 15-20 years old. So I don't really have a problem. But reading Ooma's forums, the single best enhancement you can have, and the biggest reason for people to upgrade to Premier, seems to be blacklisting, crowdsourced blacklisting and all of it's variations. A word to the wise.

rbarkley671

Post by rbarkley671 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm

I've had my number for 28 years and don't get more than one spam call a week. Same for my second number and cell number which are 15-20 years old. So I don't really have a problem.
I envy you, I average 5 or so spam calls/day on our home phone (35 years old) but none on my cell. My guess is that this is because my home phone is all over the internet (google found 4k hits). Seems like the only real solution would be to get a new phone #.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:22 pm

rbarkley671 wrote:
I've had my number for 28 years and don't get more than one spam call a week. Same for my second number and cell number which are 15-20 years old. So I don't really have a problem.
I envy you, I average 5 or so spam calls/day on our home phone (35 years old) but none on my cell. My guess is that this is because my home phone is all over the internet (google found 4k hits). Seems like the only real solution would be to get a new phone #.
Or use the tools you have. /viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14774&start=30#p109122

JerryD

Post by JerryD » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:56 pm

lbmofo wrote:If you lose your blacklist for whatever reason, you maybe able to have Ooma customer service recover for you.
I like the fact that I can copy the Blacklist to MS Word. There are times like this that I wish I could go the other way.

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:45 pm

It would be extremely helpful if:
  • We could view the blacklist in sorted order: Number sequence, Date added, or Caller Name sequence.
    EDIT a phone number in the list -- for heavens sake!
The first option would show that you're getting multiple calls from the same area code and exchange, say (423)-328-xxxx.
The second option would allow me to set 423328* as a blacklist number in one step.

Currently I have to
  • Manually search thru the list, which is in an apparently random sequence.
    Then write it down.
    Then add it as a blacklist item.
    Then delete all other occurrences in the blacklist.
    Then re-open the list to delete the next occurrence of the number.
After each edit the list collapses to just 5 items! It would be very user-friendly if whenever a number is deleted the list would remain OPEN -- rather than collapsing.

cchriskaufman

Post by cchriskaufman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:24 pm

i'm in the same boat. Did you ever get a reply?
ChrisK

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Same problem here, no help or reply received.