Community blacklist exception numbers

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
dccsb
Community blacklist exception numbers

Post by dccsb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Could you add a mechanism to allow a user to "override" a specific number that is on the community blacklist? Recently the 800 number that comes up when I call home (we use VOIP at work) has been added to the community blacklist and now I can no longer call home from work. I would rather not disable the entire community blacklist but would like in my situation to bypass this feature fro this one number. Thoughts?

MLXXXp

Re: Community blacklist exception numbers

Post by MLXXXp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 pm

You're essentially asking for whitelisting, with priority over any enabled blacklisting. It's a feature that many are asking for.

dccsb

Post by dccsb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Call it whatever you want, I like "George" :). Has anyone from Ooma replied to the requests?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:59 pm

dccsb wrote:Could you add a mechanism to allow a user to "override" a specific number that is on the community blacklist? Recently the 800 number that comes up when I call home (we use VOIP at work) has been added to the community blacklist and now I can no longer call home from work. I would rather not disable the entire community blacklist but would like in my situation to bypass this feature fro this one number. Thoughts?
Perhaps in the future when Ooma makes further improvements to blacklist.
For now, I recommend disabling Community Blacklist so you can call home.
With wildcard blacklisting, personal blacklist has become very powerful. You can block all numbers using 10 entries. 0* to 9* /viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14774&start=20#p108473

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:02 am

dccsb wrote:Has anyone from Ooma replied to the requests?
Here's one thread about whitelisting:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14441

Here's a reply in the above thread by Tom B of Ooma:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 10#p104234

Here's the actual post from Bobby B of Ooma, referenced in the above thread. (Only "Wildcarding for blacklists", has been implemented, so far.):
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 087#p97087

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Added this "Give My Ooma Contacts Exception" to Collection of Blacklist Related Requests.

Basically in the Blacklists section, give users the option to enable/check "Give My Ooma Contacts Exception" so that anyone in My Ooma Contacts would ring through bypassing any blacklist processing.

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Fri May 03, 2013 4:45 am

How is this different from "Whitelisting callers that appear on the contact list", already mentioned in the quote from Bobby B?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 03, 2013 7:16 am

It is the same. I am calling it differently because Whitelist + PIN Privacy call flow I proposed does not invoke any blacklist processing.

jc966

Post by jc966 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:04 pm

All the incoming calls with 1-800 numbers went directly into voice mail without ringing with my newly purchased Ooma Telo. I had to disable the community blacklist to allow 1-800 number incoming calls to come through. These calls were important calls from my bank, security department of credit card and some from Dell service department. I bet all these calls were VIOP based. Ooma should give the community blacklist another look; otherwise, everyone will eventually turn it off and no one will be using it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:14 pm

If in doubt, you can make the community blacklist treatment "send to voicemail" so if important, they'll leave a message.