Virtual Receptionist Doesn't Answer

Learn more about configuring your system using the Ooma Office Manager at office.ooma.com.
oomauser271
Virtual Receptionist Doesn't Answer

Post by oomauser271 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 pm

I setup my Ooma Office and have it configured to as a forwarding number for my google voice account. When I call the ooma office number directly, the virtual receptionist picks up immediately. However, when I call the google voice number (which forwards to the ooma office number), the virtual receptionist never picks up. I tried to change the settings on the google voice account and nothing worked. I couldn't find any settings in the Ooma office manager settings.

My google voice number is used for all of my business and I really don't want to change it.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

lbmofo

Re: Virtual Receptionist Doesn't Answer

Post by lbmofo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:39 am

Is your Google Voice call screening on?

oomauser271

Post by oomauser271 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:16 am

No, call screening is off. Even so, I would expect the VR to pick up. However, the line just keeps ringing until the Google voicemail answers.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:01 am

Just verified that this is the behavior I experience as well; virtual receptionist doesn't come on but Google Voice VM.

I did find a workaround. You can create a ring group with only 1 extension in it. Have the extension ring for only 10 seconds and have it roll into Virtual receptionist if not answered. Have your main Ooma office number ring this ring group. Calling the GV (forwarding to your Ooma office number) would get you the virtual receptionist.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:04 am

Did you also forward the Office to your Google voice number?
That would create an infinite loop and Ooma will block that condition.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

oomauser271

Post by oomauser271 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:47 am

I do not have the VR forwarding back to Google Voice. So there shouldn't be any infinite loop issue.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:52 am

When calling Ooma office going straight to virtual receptionist, there is no answer tone coming back so Google Voice may not detect that as "answered" so try the workaround that I mentioned.

oomauser271

Post by oomauser271 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:55 am

So I did the recommendation of creating a call group which then forwards to the virtual receptionist. It seems to work. However, now I have two other issues:

1) The call forwards to an old extension that has since been remapped. Seems like the bug that was reported in the other thread where the forwarding number is permanently used even though it has been remapped. A result when changing the line type (e.g. linx to virtual extension). I tried deleting all the associated extensions and rebooted and the problem persists.

2) The phone connected to the base port never rings. It actually shows as "Offline" in the Office Manage Extensions window even though there is a dial tone and I am able to make calls out on it.

More help please!!

oomauser271

Post by oomauser271 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 am

The problem resolved itself. I believe what did it was changing the phone number mapping, then changing it back.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:13 am

GV has this feature you can't disable where if the called party answers too quickly it assumes it's an answering machine, so it plays this prompt: 'in case of a fast pickup we ask to let us know this is not a voicemail system so you need to press 1 to accept this call'. There's an open bug to workaround this problem. Great you found a way to workaround it in the mean time.