Can't Make Any Outgoing Calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Jstone
Re: Can't Make Any Outgoing Calls

Post by Jstone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:15 am

lbmofo wrote:Take the connection going into the wall from the Telo off. You may damage your Telo if not properly distributing Telo's dialtone.
This is how Ooma instructs to connect to all home phone jacks. https://www.ooma.com/app/support/distri ... hone-jacks
The wires into the junction box outside the house were unplugged and the ends wrapped with tape.
Last edited by Jstone on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:39 am

Not sure what's happening with your house wiring. If you have Uverse, your gateway would not get Internet signal if your house wiring is disconnected from the phone company. So get Telo disconnected from your house wiring. Just because it worked before doesn't mean anything. If your house wiring is still connected to the phone company, something might have changed enough to throw things off.

Jstone

Post by Jstone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:56 am

The Gateway is via AT&T Uverse fiber optics. I believe that is separate from regular landline wiring. I would get two bills from AT&T, one for the phone service and one for Uverse. I may be mistaken, but I believe they are separated. When I disconnected the junction box wires I had no dial tone, but the ISP has always been working.
Maybe I should call AT&T? From what I have read on these forums, the ISP companies sometimes are quite knowledgeable about how to get Ooma to work right.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:19 am

Uverse comes into the house via phone wires.

Here is a post where I was telling a user how to connect to house wiring while having Uverse internet: /viewtopic.php?t=16472#p113354

Jstone

Post by Jstone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks, I appreciate all input. I will check this out in a few days. Lunchtime, and Telo is flashing red despite customer service tier 2's QoS modifications.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Disregard that link I posted. I assumed from your description that you were able to make calls even though the telo was flashing red. From your other posts I see now that's not what you mean. Your logs show disruption in internet connectivity. Most likely not an Ooma problem (and not related to QoS), but rather a cable or broadband issue.

The number you're trying to dial ending in 3633 is an invalid number. I can't dial it from a cell phone either. So that type of failure will happen whether you dial from a phone directly connected to the telo phone port or through house wiring.

Jstone

Post by Jstone » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:10 am

Well, here is what I did last night and so far so good: I had no service, just blinking red logo for days and was considering calling AT&T and resuming their service. Instead I reset the Telo to factory default and re-initialized the Netgear wireless dongle and now have full service again. Calls can be made, calls are received, and the logo is beautiful blue. If the signal keeps getting dropped I will have to address that, but I'll just have to wait & see on that. Ooma's site says wireless will work anywhere in the house that a signal is received. In my 1300 sq ft house it is received everywhere. Customer service told me the wireless Telo shouldn't be more than 20 feet from the AT&T gateway. That is simply unacceptable.
But it is working now and I am happy with that.

pathiele

Post by pathiele » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:50 am

I just started having this problem. I have Ooma Office and use a linx. both base station and linx have blue light and I can receive incoming calls. I've tried calling with 10 and 11 digits but just get a fluttering sound like an old dial up modem, then dial tone resumes and a few seconds later disconnect.

Jstone

Post by Jstone » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:15 pm

I suggest calling customer service then. Pick the sales option. The unable-to-make-calls option only gives you a recorded message telling you to reboot your modem and Telo. Choose Sales, then option #2. You'll get someone who will attempt to help you. I have been having the problem of not being able to make outgoing calls again. Went to my preferences and chose Enable 10-digit calling and that fixed it. When it quit working again, I deselected 10-digit calling and I could make calls. Today I couldn't make calls no matter what. So CS did something, and now I punch in 1-area code-local number and the call will go through. CS says they will call back within 12 hours to update me. This is supposed to be a temporary fix, since in my locale we don't have to use area codes for local calls.
I'll update you when he updates me.
Ooma is great when it works, but I have had a ration of trouble ever since I got it. Works for a few months, then a new problem crops up, with nothing having changed on my end to cause it. I like it but would not in good conscience recommend it to a friend.

ezsat01

Post by ezsat01 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:29 pm

I switch from bell to 3 party of distributel. My ooma set up was working well. After the switch i could get incoming calls but no out going calls. After I dial it is silence and then about 21 seconds later I get a fast busy tone, no matter what number I dial. I tried alot of things that many people suggested on here. I'm running a smartrg sr505n (router/modem). What i ended up doing and it worked. I turned off the router on the smartrg sr505n and just ran it as a modem (bridge). Used my own router and plugged it into the smart rg sr505n. Hope this helps someone else. The following links will help you turn off the router if you have the same device.

SmartRG 505n Bridge Mode (working only as a modem)

http://resisupport.primus.ca/en/advance ... ridge-mode