UPDATE TO FIX CLICKING NOISE ?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
HANKMUDDJR
UPDATE TO FIX CLICKING NOISE ?

Post by HANKMUDDJR » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:04 am

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHEN OOMA WILL HAVE A UPDATE TO FIX THE CLICKING NOISE ON THE HOME TELO ? I have been having the clicking noise for the past few months.I have been with ooma for about 3-4 years and had not had no clicking noise until the last few months.The person i'm talking to is the one's that here's it about every 10 seconds no matter if the person is on a landline or cell.
This is the first time i posted about it,but i have seen on a few other post that some people are having about the same trouble.Some people think it's different things on other post some thinks its an alarm,which i don't have.Some think it's your isp,it could be but i dont think so.My telo is hooked straight to the modem and i have done checks on phonepower.com and everyime i check it everything is good.
I THINK IT STARTED DOING THIS AROUND THE LAST TIME THEY ROLLED OUT UPDATE VERSION 73618,COULD THIS UPDATE HAVE STARTED THE CLICKING NOISE ?

thunderbird

Re: UPDATE TO FIX CLICKING NOISE ?

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:01 pm

For troubleshooting, take your Ooma Telo to a friend or neighbor's home and connect the Ooma Telo to their Internet. Then call the person that hears the clicking sound. Use your friend or neighbor's phone. If okay, use your phone and call again.

If the clicking sound isn't present when your Ooma Telo is used at the friend or neighbor's home, the problem has to be something in your home.

I would start by looking at the Modem.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:32 pm

I don't think its a problem on his end. Can't tell you how many times I think I have a flash call because I also get a loud clicking during calls. Yep, it started happening maybe 3 weeks ago.

Donna

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:21 pm

HANKMUDDJR wrote:DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHEN OOMA WILL HAVE A UPDATE TO FIX THE CLICKING NOISE ON THE HOME TELO ?
You have pure voice disabled and are using G.711 for all calls (since July 2012). I made a config change. While this change is in effect any changes you make on myooma that affect telo operation won't take effect (multi-ring and call blocking are server side features so those you can still change). Let me know if the click every 10 sec is gone. Try a number of calls.

HANKMUDDJR

Post by HANKMUDDJR » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:30 am

THANK YOU TOM B !!! So far the clicking noise is gone,whatever you changed has worked.I have not made alot of calls so far but i did talk to my mom this morning for about 25 min. and she said it was clear ,no clicking noise.

rxnb90

Post by rxnb90 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Toms solution is not clear..... "you have pure voice disabled" -is that a question or instruction? If instruction, where is the "pure voice" toggle found? "...and are using G.711", what is G.711? Is that a fw version? Something else?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:03 pm

For G.711 see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15628. It defaults all calls to using the G.711 codec. You've had this set on your account since 6/18/10. To disable pure voice you need to call support, but this is only done for troubleshooting purposes. There should never be a need to disable it. I assume people you're on the phone with hear a tick every 10 sec?

rxnb90

Post by rxnb90 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi Tom, Yes. I'm told from many people calling from landlines, cellphones, and other VoIP services that my outgoing sound has a regular click. Many people ask me "are you still there?" because it sounds like it might be a hang up. Incoming, I don't hear any kind of click.

So any next steps or possible solutions, I'm interested in. This has been going on for many months.

Ross

rxnb90

Post by rxnb90 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:53 pm

I just made a call using *98, and I'm told by the other person she is hearing clicking

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Since RTP_USE_ULAW=1 on your account there's no need to dial *98, because all calls (in and out) will use the G.711 codec.

I made a config change on your account (same one as HANKMUDDJR) to see if it remedies the clicking. While this change is in effect any changes you make on myooma that affect telo operation won't take effect (multi-ring and call blocking are server side features so those you can still change). Let me know if the click every 10 sec is gone. Try a number of calls.