potential porting hiccups from QWest

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
buzzman
Re: potential porting hiccups from QWest

Post by buzzman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:46 am

That means you will have your number ported on 6/26 to Ooma, but Qwest doesn't "disconnect" your old number until 6/30. The CSR told me this is a standard procedure.

So by 5 pm on 6/26, you will start getting calls on your Ooma. On 6/30, you will get the new Qwest (non-working-but-real) phone number. No technician will come to your residence.

I don't have a Qwest email address, so I didn't need to worry about it. A piece of advice, you may want to use a non-ISP email address so you're not tied to a certain ISP if you're moving to a different one.

My early termination fee got resolved within days by a CSR, so it was a pleasant surprise. However, I'm still wondering what my first bill would look like.

Please note that your rate will go up at least $5 than your old price-for-life rate. IF you had a landline with certain services (call waiting, voicemail, etc.), your rate may go up by $10 since the you were getting $10 discount ($5 for landline and another $5 for having those landline options).

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks Buzzman. That explains a lot about the pricing. I think I'm going to call them back to schedule the new DSL service one day early. I'd rather pay the extra $1 and not worry about loosing Internet service.

Cheers,
Scott

buzzman

Post by buzzman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 pm

I wouldn't do that if I were you. I don't know if Qwest can set up a new account before "disconnecting" the old one.

My transition day was very smooth, no downtime whatsoever (on DSL service). So in this case, Qwest did a very good job.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:56 am

buzzman wrote:I wouldn't do that if I were you. I don't know if Qwest can set up a new account before "disconnecting" the old one.

My transition day was very smooth, no downtime whatsoever (on DSL service). So in this case, Qwest did a very good job.
What time of day did it all happen?

Did you need a new PPP username and password for the new DSL service?

Scott

buzzman

Post by buzzman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:11 am

It went so smooth we don't even know what time of the day it actually happened. All I know that we didn't notice any downtime.

I don't use Qwest email, so I don't know if your Qwest email address will be changed.

niknak

Post by niknak » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:36 am

I don't think any thing will happen. All they need to do is associate your existing account with a new phone number. Your user ID shouldn't change

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:12 am

niknak wrote:I don't think any thing will happen. All they need to do is associate your existing account with a new phone number. Your user ID shouldn't change
That would make sense for them to do it that way, but they aren't. They will be terminating my current account and creating a new one. I'll have a new contract with new prices. I will be loosing my low Price For Life guarantee which sucks, but it's better than keeping my landline.

Scott

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:58 am

Today is the scheduled date of the port. How do I know when the porting is completed?

Update: The port went through. I figured out how I could determine it's done. Since I had Ooma configured to augment my landline, it would shut down if I disconnected it from the landline. Now I can disconnect it from the landline without it shutting down so I know the port is done. Next up, the switch over from old to new DSL service on Tuesday. Let's keep the fingers crossed!

Scott

pkeegan

Post by pkeegan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:17 am

scottlindner wrote:
niknak wrote:I don't think any thing will happen. All they need to do is associate your existing account with a new phone number. Your user ID shouldn't change
That would make sense for them to do it that way, but they aren't. They will be terminating my current account and creating a new one. I'll have a new contract with new prices. I will be loosing my low Price For Life guarantee which sucks, but it's better than keeping my landline.

Scott
Qwest gave me a new account number when I had them dry loop my DSL but my contract for the low Price For Life remained intact. My latest Qwest bill shows the same date for the end of the two year commitment as it did before the dry loop.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:23 am

pkeegan wrote:
scottlindner wrote:

Scott
Qwest gave me a new account number when I had them dry loop my DSL but my contract for the low Price For Life remained intact. My latest Qwest bill shows the same date for the end of the two year commitment as it did before the dry loop.
That is what I asked for but they said it wasn't possible. How long ago was this and did you arrange for that prior to the change or after the change?

Cheers,
Scott