Trying to connect Alarm System with Linx... advice needed

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
MLXXXp
Re: Trying to connect Alarm System with Linx... advice needed

Post by MLXXXp » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 pm

EX Bell wrote:If you're a an Ooma Premier subscriber than you have access to "Instant Second Line", but it can only be accessed with a Linx or and Ooma handset.
Actually, "Instant Second Line", allowing two calls at the same time, can also be done if one of the calls is on a BlueTooth headset, via the Telo Bluetooth adapter. It's not very relevant to this thread, though.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:18 pm

MLXXXp wrote:
EX Bell wrote:If you're a an Ooma Premier subscriber than you have access to "Instant Second Line", but it can only be accessed with a Linx or and Ooma handset.
Actually, "Instant Second Line", allowing two calls at the same time, can also be done if one of the calls is on a BlueTooth headset, via the Telo Bluetooth adapter. It's not very relevant to this thread, though.
How do you initiate a call from a Bluetooth headset?
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:56 am

EX Bell wrote:How do you initiate a call from a Bluetooth headset?
From any regular handset connected to the Ooma system, prefix the number you want to call with *15 (for the first Bluetooth headset or *16 - *18 for others). The Bluetooth headset will ring and the call will be dialed. If you answer on the headset, the call will be transferred to it. The handset used for dialing will then switch to the second line and you can use it to place a second call or just hang up. If you hang up, you can still make a call later on the second line if the Bluetooth headset call is still in progress.

Sounge

Post by Sounge » Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm

So I finally got my Linx, and was successful in getting it to work with my alarm system. Here is what I did:

1) purchased an RJ45 coupler (female-to-female), as instructed by EX Bell. On one end of it, I connected the RJ31x connection from my main alarm panel, and the other end I connected an RJ11 phone cable going into the Linx.

2) I registered the Linx on the Ooma website, and then went to Preferences -> Phone Numbers, select the Linx and change the Mode to "Alarm System".

I then called my monitoring company and put my alarm on test mode, and then did a test call through my alarm panel. I called them back and they said they saw the alarm notification come through, so I am guessing that everything works good! Is this correct? Am I missing anything?

If not, then great- a big thanks to everyone for their insight.. I couldn't have done it without the help here. Many thanks!

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Wed May 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Excellent! I'm glad you've got it working and happy to have been able to help.

TexasBet

Post by TexasBet » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:46 am

This is a great topic. I too just connected my alarm system to OOMA using the Linx device. Instead of using the RJ45 to RJ11 coupler, I went out and got an RJ31X flat mount jack and simply connected the red and green wires to the RJ11 wire going to the OOMA device. No problems. This way, the next homeowner or whomever can decide to use the existing wiring or do the same thing as this to connect into a VOIP phone like OOMA. Costco had the bundle re-appear with the Linx, so I bought it last month with their coupon. Now I can cancel my landline! Thanks for the topic guys. :D

Lad

Post by Lad » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 pm

EX Bell wrote:...then you can just get one of these RJ45 straight through couplers. The RJ31x jacks use the two center pins 4&5 for the Telco line and use the same RJ45 plug, so it will work perfect. Plug the connection from the alarm system into one side of the RJ45 coupler and plug in a standard RJ11 phone line into the other side. Then connect that to the Ooma Linx adapter. Your done. Test the alarm system.
Got my Ooma Telo a week ago, the Linx arrived yesterday and thought I would say kudos to the suggestion of using an RJ-45/RJ-45 straight connector.

My alarm panel has a short wire coming out of the box terminated with an RJ-45 male connector. This wire plugs into a small plastic phone connector box that is wired to the phone lines.

Unplugged the RJ-45 wire from the telco box, clipped it into one end of the RJ-45/RJ-45 straight connector and plugged a standard phone wire with male plugs into the other end of the connector. Plugged the other end of the wire into the nearby Linx and the alarm box tested fine for communication out to the monitoring station.

Canceled my landline phone service five minutes later, saving me at least $60 a month.

Again, thanks for making the alarm connection easy!

Ladd

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:29 am

Lad wrote:
EX Bell wrote:...then you can just get one of these RJ45 straight through couplers. The RJ31x jacks use the two center pins 4&5 for the Telco line and use the same RJ45 plug, so it will work perfect. Plug the connection from the alarm system into one side of the RJ45 coupler and plug in a standard RJ11 phone line into the other side. Then connect that to the Ooma Linx adapter. Your done. Test the alarm system.
Got my Ooma Telo a week ago, the Linx arrived yesterday and thought I would say kudos to the suggestion of using an RJ-45/RJ-45 straight connector.

My alarm panel has a short wire coming out of the box terminated with an RJ-45 male connector. This wire plugs into a small plastic phone connector box that is wired to the phone lines.

Unplugged the RJ-45 wire from the telco box, clipped it into one end of the RJ-45/RJ-45 straight connector and plugged a standard phone wire with male plugs into the other end of the connector. Plugged the other end of the wire into the nearby Linx and the alarm box tested fine for communication out to the monitoring station.

Canceled my landline phone service five minutes later, saving me at least $60 a month.

Again, thanks for making the alarm connection easy!

Ladd
Fantastic! Thanks for the positive feedback. Much appreciated.

ccomputergeek1967

Post by ccomputergeek1967 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 am

then you can just get one of these RJ45 straight through couplers. The RJ31x jacks use the two center pins 4&5 for the Telco line and use the same RJ45 plug, so it will work perfect. Plug the connection from the alarm system into one side of the RJ45 coupler and plug in a standard RJ11 phone line into the other side. Then connect that to the Ooma Linx adapter. Your done. Test the alarm system.
Ok, I tried this and it did not work. Checking my Ooma call logs showed no call was even dialed. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

ccomputergeek1967

Post by ccomputergeek1967 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:17 am

Ok, Ok, Stand down ;-) Switched my Telo to "fax machine" instead of "phone" and all WORKED!!!! Left the Linx on Alarm...Thanks all for this brilliant post :-D