Blinking red

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Oxbow
Blinking red

Post by Oxbow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:40 pm

I having trouble with getting internet connection when moving the unit from were I set up and register the unit. It will work fine while behind a router, but I want to use it just with a modem. I have done the factory resets with holding mail button and stop button. I have done a reset with the *#*#*099. I have tried three modems. I have gone into setting and changed the internet to DHCP and also tried Auto setting. I have called the customer service with them on the phone telling me to make sure the setting is DHCP. I use Charter cable.
I have pored over these posts and just came over a comment saying some units will get stuck on the first settings it first used and difficult to reset. This seams to be what has happened to my unit. I have reset modems and routers and computers and Ooma unit countless times. Any ideas before I sent it back?

WayneDsr

Re: Blinking red

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:54 pm

When moving the Telo from behind the router to actually using it as a router you must reset your cable modem as well. The Cable Modem still "sees" the router attached and a modem reset will allow it to pick up the Telo.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Oxbow

Post by Oxbow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:05 am

Yes going straight from the cable modem to the Telo needs a fresh reset for the modem, I have done that in three other modems, still blink light. The port on the back of the Telo shows green light and blinking amber. That show the signal is at the port. Thanks

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:26 am

A blinking red Ooma logo means no internet connection. Signal is getting to the Telo, but the Telo cannot get to the internet.
Make sure you have the Telo and the modem connected using the INTERNET port on the Telo. I've accidentally done this myself, so I know it's easy to over look.

You also might want to see if your modem has a backup battery and you may have to remove this to get a proper reset.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:01 am

In addition, sometimes the Ooma Telo need a factory reset before it "sees" the Internet.

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right. (sequence above may be slightly different with later firmware versions)
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

Oxbow

Post by Oxbow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 pm

I have just tried the factory reset again, again did not work. No wifi on this unit at all. Cable not DSL, no handsets. I will try the quality upstream downstream setting now. This should be cut and dry at this point.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:04 am

Another thing to try is to go into Ooma Setup, click on the Internet tab. Following the words Connection type, click on the down arrow. Select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device.
Remove power from the Modem and the Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:32 am

which buttons are blue on the front panel?
do you have link lights on the telo internet port?
have you tried a known good ethernet cable?

Oxbow

Post by Oxbow » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:22 pm

thunderbird I have set the internet setting to dhcp per the advice of Omma programmer. I have charter cable.

Tom B, depending on the modem I will have all lights on, other than the bottom row, blue and the center blinking. Sometimes the trash and mail light does not come on depending what modem I have tried.
At ALL times all modems and routers I have good port lights, solid green with blinking amber lights.
I have tried three cables now per the advice of Omma.

I think I got a dud and should send it back, this should be cut and dry for any setting.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:53 am

If the logo is blinking red and both trash/mail are BLUE then the unit is not getting an IP address, so don't use that modem.
If the logo is blinking red and both trash/mail are OFF then the unit IS getting an IP address but some firewall issue is preventing the unit from reaching the Ooma core.

That behavior alone is telling me the unit should go into service if you tried at a friend's house, although support will never suggest this.