QOS issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
frank1
Re: QOS issues

Post by frank1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:59 am

I edited my post, I meant to say WRT54GL at Amazon. You have to get version 4 or earlier of WRT54GS to get 16meg/4meg. Versions 5 and newer are only 8meg/2meg. But all versions of WRT54GL have 16meg/4meg.

I'm using a D-Link DIR-825 as my access point. It has oem firmware, with QOS set at automatic. I just have QOS with the checkmark for automatic, I'm not fine tunning the QOS or setting priorities. It works great. I have Ooma behind the router, two Desktops, two laptops, PS3, and two other remote devices. Even when everyone is hitting the network hard, Ooma still sounds crystal clear. So the D-Link must have pretty good QOS functionality with the stock firmware. The only issue with the D-Link is that it is not a broadcom chip, so all you can use is the stock firmware. But no problem, because the stock firmware is very good.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:02 am

I wonder what Automatic QoS even means? Is that like the TCP Vegas congestion control?

Scott

frank1

Post by frank1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:11 am

You go to the QOS tab in the D-Link webgui. At the top of the page, you can check a checkbox for "automatic" QOS. The D-Link has some kind of a QOS engine that knows what kind of traffic is Voip, online gaming, bit torrent, downloads, etc. And it automatically prioritises the traffic. Giving Voip top priority, online gaming second priority, and things like email or downloading lowest priority.

If you don't check "automatic", you can go in and manually set priority by port, ip address, mac address, etc. So you could set rules to put Ooma as priority 1, and other things at lower priority.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:17 am

That's awesome. That has to be perfect for most people. Good to hear it's so simple. I wasn't aware of such a feature.

Scott