Out Going Caller ID

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
champ
Out Going Caller ID

Post by champ » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:57 pm

How do you setup the out going caller ID: So that it shows my name.
On the other end it says Ooma and people wonder who is ooma and they do not respond.

undrline

Re: Out Going Caller ID

Post by undrline » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm

http://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_faq.php? ... eatures#q3
"ooma also provides outgoing caller-ID at no extra charge. By default, during activation, your caller-ID will be set to use your last and first names. If you wish to change or personalize an existing outgoing caller-ID name at a later time, you can choose to do so for a one-time charge of $11.99. Acceptable caller-ID names contain some combination of your first name, last name and/or your home business name. New requests and changes for outgoing caller-ID name are processed within 5 business days."

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1003
"Normally it takes a couple weeks to propagate your caller-ID information in various telecom systems." Thread also says that porting may have to be completed first.

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Good luck. I have been with ooma for 3 months now and my caller id still isn't correct. When I call folks, my number shows up, but my name shows as OUT OF AREA. This happens on the number that I ported in from Verizon and the second number I got as part of the Premier package.

Somehow, I can go onto my AT&T wireless account and change the CID information and it is updated the next day. Ooma has told me on several occasions that it's out of their control, etc.

Does anyone have the proper CID information displayed when they call people? :)
follow me on twitter: @bryanlyle

dlong

Post by dlong » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Does anyone have the proper CID information displayed when they call people?
Hmmm. Nope. It's been 3 months here as well, and out-going caller-id never worked either (says OUT OF AREA). I've been wondering what others have been experiencng before I start pestering tech support. Ported from Verizon.

but2002

Post by but2002 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:08 pm

Mine was a newly generated number when I ordered Ooma.

Still says "Unknown Name"

Will anyone here be willing to help me check this again? PM me if so. (I have no one local to call, all have cell phones with no-name callerID)

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:21 am

I have 2 hubs with Premier, 2 numbers on each, purchased a couple of months apart. In both cases, my outgoing caller id showed as "Ooma,Inc". I waited about 3 weeks and then contacted customer service, the first time by phone and the second time by email. In each case, the issue was resolved within 2 business days. All 4 numbers are now showing my name and number.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

funone46

Post by funone46 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:51 am

I called customer service after one month, and now has been 4 months and still nothing. Bobby B. checked into it also. Not sure what the hold up is
Ooma customer since Febuary 2009 - savings so far $ 1000.00
Ooma hardware Hub/Scout
LIFETIME PREMIER MEMBER

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:40 am

My original temporary hub number and the number that I ported to the hub have always had correct caller ID. The new second line number identified as Ooma INC for a couple of months until Bobby B intervened and got it fixed. The problem appeared to be that on each request to fix it, they were resending the information for the hub number instead of for the second line to update the multitude of caller ID data bases.

Caller ID info is not sent by ooma, or any other telephone company, when you make an inter company call. They take the incoming number and look up the name in their local data base. If the number isn't in their data base, they assign a default text string. Getting your data forwarded to all of the local data bases appears to be problematic.

Convince the people that you call to get phones that have the ability to associate the incoming number with their internal phone book and display that name. Then it doesn't matter if the multitude of data bases ever get updated.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tommies

Post by tommies » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:28 pm

My number ported in Mar 30 from ATT/Bellsouth. Till now, cid only shows my number with "Unknown caller" text.
tommies

quebert

Post by quebert » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Wait, so has anyone actually paid the fee and still not gotten the caller ID changed? I definitely want this changed, but this thread is a bit disheartening.