OOMA works with ADT

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
llking
OOMA works with ADT

Post by llking » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm

I just bought an OOMA TELO from Costco for $129. It doesn't come with the wireless adapter which I don't need in my circumstance.

I used to have Comcast Triple Play that covers cable, internet and phone services. I will be dropping it to Double Play and drops the phone now that I've sucessfully installed my OOMA.

I plugged the OOMA in between the cable modem and the wireless router as recommended by OOMA installation instructions.

I was able to get a new number assigned and able to originate and terminate calls within 20 mins

I was skeptical at first reading about OOMA not able to support alarm monitoring. ADT even told me on the phone that it's not compatible. However, once I successfully tested inbound and outbound calls, I immediately did a quick test from the alarm control panel. I got a loud sound from my alarm bullhorn and no error on showing on the alarm panel. I also called ADT, and they confirmed seeing an alarm event in their log.

If you have a little telephony background, this is a very easy installation. There are so many different scenarios out there. However, for those just starting to convert from landline, they will struggle a little. For those converting from current cable provided telephone (VoIP), it should be as easy as unplugging the old telephone line from the cable modem to the wall jack and plug the new line from OOMA to the wall jack.

Good luck to all. I can vouch OOMA does work with my ADT monitoring.

NOTE: Both your cable modem and alarm system should have a backup battery built-in. So, if you happen to lose power, your cordless phone might not work but you still have the ability to send alarm event.

MarMuzz

Re: OOMA works with ADT

Post by MarMuzz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm

All you need to do is update Myooma > Prefernces > Phone Numbers > Select device and change mode to Alarm System. Click save, and then reboot your Ooma device. You should no longer have the Ooma ringtone, but just a standard dial tone.

I have ADT SafeWatch Pro 3000EN. No changes were required with my alarm system, #41 is 877xxxxxxx, #42 is blank, #40 is blank.

I switched from Comcast to Ooma, and just unplugged comcast and plugged in Ooma after the settings on MyOoma was complete and device rebooted. I did try the other options on Ooma forum for modifying ADT alarm codes with no success. Put all back to default and called ADT and they confirmed they were receiving successfull tests.

Ooma customer service is awesome and have helped me out a ton with this and other newby issues I have had. They are the ones that changed the mode type on their end, but I found it in MyOoma for those that want to try themselves.

Good luck!

frank paxton

Post by frank paxton » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 pm

I have OOMA working on my twisted pair. When the ADT Safewatch 3000 alarm box is jacked in I get the OOMA dialtone PLUS A BUSY SIGNAL !$#!$ When I 'unjack' the alarm box I get a nice OOMA dialtone. At present OOMA is NOT jacked it where it should be ie: in front of the alarm box... I have it jacked into the twisted pair down the line ... which is temporary until i can jack in where it should be.
Anyone know why i get the dial tone AND THE BUSY SIGNAL when the alarm box is jacked in ?
Yes, the old POTS telephone line is disconnected.
Will 'jacking in' the OOMA before the alarm box kill the busy signal - or is it a polarity / wiring issue in the alarm box...ie the line seizure or 'ring tip' wiring - input/output ?
Thanks for any suggestions.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:43 am

The alarm system will only work with the Ooma phone port connected directly to its input terminals. It is not looking for a dial tone on its output terminals.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:08 am

jstigler

Post by jstigler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:53 am

I have a DCT Alarm Panel with Ooma Telo and after setting the phone in the internet login setup to ALARM and then rebooting the Telo it now has normal dial tone. I put the alarm monitoring service in Test Mode and set an alarm while
bridging the phone line at the alarm panel. It came off hook and dialed with proper had shakes with the monitoring service.
Whew! This was pretty simple but I had not rebooted the Telo to get normal dial tone.
Johnny S.

Hitcheroo

Post by Hitcheroo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:35 pm

I bought a broadband adaptor for my alarm panel that connects to my Internet router. No need for any type of phone line. (I use NextAlarm.com for my monitoring... it's a UL listed monitoring company and a lot cheaper than ADT and the other folks)

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Here's a similar solution that I use: If your alarm is either a DSC or Honeywell (Ademco) brand, an option I like is from eyezon.com. A little $89 board, the Envisalink 3 sits inside your alarm panel and connects to the Internet. It will send text messages to your phone in case of an alert (including losing Internet communication) and may be controlled with your iPhone or iPad. You can also use your Blackberry or Android device to monitor your alarm system. You can check individual zones, set or disarm the system, check individual zone history, and more. All for free after you purchase the board. If you want professional monitoring, it is only $8.99 per month. I've had the system connected to my DSC alarm for about 9 months now and love it.

The manufacturer shows a price of $119, but you can get it for $89 here. And no, I do not have any relationship with the Security Store or Eyezon except as a happy customer.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.