Random Lights and Beeps

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: Random Lights and Beeps

Post by Tom » Thu May 15, 2014 9:54 am

Ok, got the file. Doesn't sound like anything familiar so passing it on to hardware engineering.

Just to confirm please answer these questions:
- every day you hear a beeping coming from the telo base at 6:03am EDT that lasts for about a minute?
- so it beeped this morning?
- does the beeping become louder when you lift the telo and place it near you ear?
- does the beeping become softer when you place your thumb over the speaker slits on the right side of the telo?
- when the beeping is ongoing can you change the volume of it by pressing the speaker volume icon on the telo panel?
- when you received the telo replacement did you also receive a new power supply?
- is the telo power supply plugged into a regular outlet or a fancy power strip with perhaps UPS?

met52h

Post by met52h » Thu May 15, 2014 10:07 am

1. Yes, beeping comes from the base and lasts about a minute.
2. Yes, it beeped this morning
3. Did not try placing it to my ear. May try tomorrow.
4.Did not try, may try tomorrow.
5. Pressing speaker volume has no effect.
6. Did not receive new power supply with replacement base.
7. It is plugged int wall outlet.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu May 15, 2014 11:54 am

Please try removing the wireless adapter and hooking up the telo to a wired link.

Also since you're not using Linx/HD2 I went ahead and disabled the DECT module on the telo, just in case that's a factor.

Possibly there's something peculiar about your power lines. Taking it somewhere else would offer one more datapoint.

met52h

Post by met52h » Thu May 15, 2014 2:28 pm

I already tried disconnecting wifi, still beeped.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 am

Still beeped this am?

Have to ask, does the beeping stop when you power down the telo?

met52h

Post by met52h » Fri May 16, 2014 5:05 pm

Yes, it beeped this morning. haven't tried shutting off power during beeping. Will try.

met52h

Post by met52h » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:07 am

After a month or two, the beeping just stopped!

Jcpstrat

Post by Jcpstrat » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:11 am

My Ooma Telo started the random lights & beeps. This started 2 weeks ago after almost a day without Internet service and I saw Time Warner techs working on the problem in our neighborhood.

Since then I’ve thought it cured itself several times only to have it start up again. One night we were awakened by it playing back messages by itself. Our only solution so far as been to turn the volume off which only stops the audio. Other than this annoyance, the unit works fine.

I recorded an MP3 file of what it sounds like but when I tried to attach it, it gave me an error. Can any audio file types be attached?

Anyone have a solution for this yet?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Some touch panels can run into this problem. I've disabled sound effects (you can toggle these by dialing *#*#511) and applied a workaround.

Jcpstrat

Post by Jcpstrat » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks Tom B for the code tip. I haven't used it as our system stopped doing the Random Lights and Beeps after my post about it. :D

Anyway I'm keeping your code tip close to the phone in case it acts up again and then I try it.