Issues with phone based answering machine

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
goflowerlady
Re: Issues with phone based answering machine

Post by goflowerlady » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:57 pm

murphy wrote:The Telo has a DECT 6 transmitter and receiver.
The cordless base of another DECT 6 phone system should not be within a couple of feet of the Telo.
The transmitter of one will interfere with the receiver of the other.
General Speaking quality is great. Again, the issue is just with the answering machine. I would say the two are about 5 feet away from each other. I'm not sure I can arrange more space, but I will look into it and thank you so much for giving a valuable solution.

goflowerlady

Post by goflowerlady » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 pm

agent23 wrote:I have a Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone system hooked up to my Telo, and I also prefer to use the Panasonic's voice mail over the Telo voice mail. But I too have the issue where, where someone leaves me a voice mail message on the Panasonic's base unit, the Ooma chime and a few seconds of a LOUD dial tone are appended to the end of their message. I sometimes screen calls, so I can hear the person leaving the voice mail message, and when they hang up, I can hear the Ooma chime and the LOUD dial tone.
I was excited to hear that the issue could be the fact that the Panasonic's base unit was right next to the Telo on the kitchen counter. I moved the Telo down to the low-voltage wiring cabinet in the basement, hooked it up, and called my home phone with my cell phone, and left a message. Unfortunately, the chime and ring tone were added to the end of my message.
Does anyone else have this problem, and know of a solution?
I have Comcast for my Internet provider, and the low-voltage wiring cabinet (which now houses the Ooma) also has the cable modem, a HDHomeRun network-based TV tuner, a coax distribution panel for an OTA TV tuner, and the distribution unit for the whole-house audio system. Could any of these cause interference?
I know I could simply switch over to using the Ooma voice mail feature and quit using the Panasonic unit's voice mail, but I'd rather not.
Thanks in advance!
OH MY GOODNESS! Exactly (chimes and dialtone)! However, I also have this awful screech sound after my greeting as well. It is very annoying when calling on a cell as cells are usually turned up in volume. The screech is awful. I have to reiterate that when I hook the Panasonic (KT-TG234 SK) up (in the same area) to my VOIP Vonage, all is well. So it has to have something to do with the compatibility with Ooma. Thank you for your input, it helps to know that someone else has the issue. I know several with Ooma, and, of course no one has heard of this. (My hook up is very unsophisticated. Modem to Ooma to router, plus the Panasonic base... 5 foot apart physically.)

11/21/12---Added info. I spent another 2 hours with Ooma on this matter. 1. Changed the Ooma Telo as suggested by a level 2 tech at Ooma in an email. 2. Just installed and worked with another level 2 tech and did all sorts of changing this and that (telephone cords, rebooting, changing number of rings, moving equipment) to no avail. Somehow it has to be a compatibility issue with Panasonic, I think. I suppose I could try another brand of phone, but I love Panasonic...has volume button on the side of the phone with a phone jack on all 4 sets. Why would I want less? After 2 OOma's and 2 Panasonic sets, I think there is no hope for this particular configuration. Like it or leave it, that seems to be the choice.
Last edited by goflowerlady on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 am

I have an old Panasonic 4 line cordless phone system that has line 4 connected to a Verizon phone line.
Every call that goes to the phone's answering machine ends up recording Verizon's announcement that the call can't be completed as dialed. The Panasonic is not detecting that the caller has hung up and keeps the line open.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mgrande

Post by mgrande » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 pm

I have a Uniden answering machine and have the same issue of the Ooma dial tone being tacked on to the end of the message. It is not specific to Panasonic.
Last edited by mgrande on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I have Panasonic Dect cordless phones and I do not have that problem at all. I can use the Panasonic answering and I have the Ooma answering set to 6 rings. My Panasonic begins and ends just fine.

Sometimes, I switch the Ooma to answer first on 4 rings and change the Panasonic to 6 rings. That also works for me with no side effects.

I do not have any phone connected to my Telo base. My jacks are all active and my Panasonic base is in the kitchen whereas the Telo is in the office without a phone connected to it.

Donna

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:04 am

Please specify the make/model of the answering machines you're all using.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Don't know if you want mine or not because I've used this setup since my first Ooma Hub and any Telo's I've used with it since. I have never had a problem with any of Ooma's products connected to my Panasonic. Now that I think of it, I've even bought a newer Panasonic a few years ago. I've also connected Ooma Telo's to four other friends homes and they all have Panasonics and not problems with any of them either.

Personally, the Panasonic I have connected to my Telo base is... KX-TG4031 + 4 handsets. It is set for 4 rings and the Telo set for 6 rings due to convenience location.

Donna

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 pm

so your Panasonic voicemails don't have dialtone recorded at the end?

anni

Post by anni » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:27 pm

I have the same problem. The dial tone is three ones with the last one louder and longer. But the answering machine that is part of the Panasonic phone plays these tones very loud -- even shrieking -- every time it takes a message. It's impossible to talk, hear or conduct a call on one's cell phone while a message is being left. I tried turning off the volume on the phone as instructed on the Ooma support site, but that turns off the ringer on the phone. This is a new Panasonic phone set 6.0 Plus model KX-TG7741. Please reply with a solution.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:36 pm

have you considered using Ooma voicemail instead?