caller ID on HDTV

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
ImRich
Re: caller ID on HDTV

Post by ImRich » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 am

harry12 wrote:
thunderbird wrote:
harry12 wrote:
If your TV box is comparable to my unit, there is no RJ-11 jack. I have to refer to the handset!
What is the brand and model number of your HDTV?
What is the brand and Model number of entertainment receiver box?
Have you configured your house phone wiring so that you can hear the Ooma dial tone to all house wall jacks?
If you are asking me (harry12), my TV is a: 'Sanyo - DP42410', my cable box: a 'Scientific Atlanta - Explorer 8300 HD'. Also, running a Hub. I hear the Ooma dial tone on the two jacks to which I connect. One for my Uniden cordless setup and one for the FAX.
And my caller ID hasn't shown up on the TV since i dropped the cable 'phone and went to Ooma.
The reason it was showing up on your TV is this:
And my caller ID hasn't shown up on the TV since i dropped the cable 'phone and went to Ooma.
This was a function of the Cable TV / Phone system.

It was getting the caller ID over the Cable phone network, and sending data to the Cable TV box, coming over the same cable as your TV and phone signals.

There probably is no easy way to get the POTS type signal from the output of the Ooma into your cable TV box so it will display the caller ID on your TV.
Rich

mwm

Post by mwm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:44 am

For those of you that have DirecTv and you got your caller ID to display on the television I need your help.
Since I got my Ooma Telo years ago, I initially tried to hook up my DVR box so caller ID would show on the TV, with no avail.
I am now trying again with no success.

1. Unplugged phone cable from Ooma installed duplex splitter onto back of Ooma.
2. Plugged phone cable to phone into splitter (I tried both splitter inputs and phone works fine)
3. Plugged second phone cable into splitter - Ooma quits working
At first line #1 lights up like it is in use, then light goes off and cordless phone has error message saying to check line - No dial tone.

What am I doing wrong?
Initially I thought it might have something to do with having Whole Home with DirecTv, but DirecTv said it should not matter.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:50 am

mwm wrote:For those of you that have DirecTv and you got your caller ID to display on the television I need your help.
Since I got my Ooma Telo years ago, I initially tried to hook up my DVR box so caller ID would show on the TV, with no avail.

2. Plugged phone cable to phone into splitter (I tried both splitter inputs and phone works fine)
At first line #1 lights up like it is in use, then light goes off and cordless phone has error message saying to check line - No dial tone.

What am I doing wrong?
Initially I thought it might have something to do with having Whole Home with DirecTv, but DirecTv said it should not matter.
I don't have DirecTV, but i do have Dish. I used a Linx and ran a phone line into the satellite box. The only extra step was to enable the Caller ID on the Dish box which I figured out by going through the menu system. The caller ID on the TVs works fine. The internal modem cannot connect for billing PPV, but I don't need that to work.

I also have a splitter on my Telo, with one of the phone cables going into my cordless phone base station. I use a Linx for the 2nd line jack on the phone base station. That works fine.

I looked into getting DirecTV, but the pricing was higher. Of course, if the AT&T merger with DirecTV goes through, I expect the pricing will come down to better compete with services like cable TV and Uverse. :D
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

mwm

Post by mwm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:56 am

oomamaniacal wrote:
mwm wrote:For those of you that have DirecTv and you got your caller ID to display on the television I need your help.

What am I doing wrong?
I don't have DirecTV, but i do have Dish. I used a Linx and ran a phone line into the satellite box. The only extra step was to enable the Caller ID on the Dish box which I figured out by going through the menu system. The caller ID on the TVs works fine. The internal modem cannot connect for billing PPV, but I don't need that to work.

I also have a splitter on my Telo, with one of the phone cables going into my cordless phone base station. I use a Linx for the 2nd line jack on the phone base station. That works fine.

I looked into getting DirecTV, but the pricing was higher. Of course, if the AT&T merger with DirecTV goes through, I expect the pricing will come down to better compete with services like cable TV and Uverse. :D
Thank you for the reply.
Caller ID is enabled on the DVR (DirecTv Receiver) still no dial tone on phone.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:16 am

What am I doing wrong?
Is the other end of the second phone cable connected directly to the DirecTv box?
You either have a shorted cable or a bad phone port in the DirecTv box.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mwm

Post by mwm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:35 am

murphy wrote:

What am I doing wrong?
Is the other end of the second phone cable connected directly to the DirecTv box?
You either have a shorted cable or a bad phone port in the DirecTv box.
As soon as I plug in the second line into the splitter whether it is connected to the DirecTv box or not Ooma quits working - no dial tone.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:51 am

mwm wrote: As soon as I plug in the second line into the splitter whether it is connected to the DirecTv box or not Ooma quits working - no dial tone.
The phone cable is bad. Try another cable. Also look at the splitter to verify that the four wires are parallel to each other.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mwm

Post by mwm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:30 pm

murphy wrote:
mwm wrote: As soon as I plug in the second line into the splitter whether it is connected to the DirecTv box or not Ooma quits working - no dial tone.
The phone cable is bad. Try another cable. Also look at the splitter to verify that the four wires are parallel to each other.
Thank you for all your help. It is now working.

I went outside and made sure the main phone line was disconnected.
Then I used a three prong adapter and plugged it into the phone wall jack (1. Ooma 2. Phone 3. DVR).
I also replaced the phone cable and plugged it in and kabam! Suscess.

Ricker

Post by Ricker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Is it possible to achieve the caller ID feature on my Dish Network Hopper by using a wireless OOMA adapter communicating with my wireless USB adapter on the back of my HDTV?
Customer Since: 11/13/12
Hardware: Telo with 1 HD2
Service: Premier 11/23/12
Century Link Port: 11/13/12 - 11/19/12
Internet ISP: Comcast
Speed 50MB/10MB
Other Handsets: Uniden D1680-4XT
Router: Cisco Linksys EA4500 or Apple Airport Extreme

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Ricker wrote:Is it possible to achieve the caller ID feature on my Dish Network Hopper by using a wireless OOMA adapter communicating with my wireless USB adapter on the back of my HDTV?
No, if you don't have a telephone jack near the Hopper, then use a Linx. It works for me.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions