Anyone else have outbound cid work sporadically?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
RickO
Anyone else have outbound cid work sporadically?

Post by RickO » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:37 pm

The name displayed on my outbound caller id shows "Private Caller" instead of my name, more times than not. It will work for a call or two, and then not work for the next several calls. I was wondering if this has been an issue with anyone else, and if they've had any luck in getting it resolved.
I had my ooma number changed in an effort to fix this. My original number displayed "Out of Area". With my latest number, the outbound cid actually worked for about 3 hours, but has displayed "Private Caller" ever since.
Has anyone had any luck resolving this problem? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Ooma is working with me and have been very good to deal with.
Last edited by RickO on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bryanlyle

Re: Anyone else have outbound cid work sporadically?

Post by bryanlyle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Nope. Mine has never worked properly.

BTW, I can go online to my AT&T wireless account and change the information that I want displayed on folks CID and it works within 24 hours to anyone that I call (regardless of who their carrier is).

I really don't understand why ooma can't get this working. Very frustrating.

StevenJohn

Post by StevenJohn » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:43 pm

I have talked to ooma twice about this and then say they will fix the caller id but it will take a week for the name to show up. It's been well over a week after both calls and it still does not read right. I am beginning to think it is out of ooma's control. I wish they would just tell me if they cannot correct the problem.

sj

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Currently, I think it is outside of ooma's control. I just wish they could do something about it.

Obviously it is possible to have almost instant updates to CID databases. If you get a new number from Verizon, AT&T, etc., it doesn't take a week to ten days for your name to show up.

I think folks who have other VOIP providers have the same problem. I know Comcast Digital Voice customers do.
follow me on twitter: @bryanlyle

RickO

Post by RickO » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:36 pm

When I changed my ooma number, the outgoing caller ID displayed my name perfectly the very next day. Unfortunately, it disappeared after about three hours and has not returned since.
The previous ooma number I had displayed correct outgoing CID only occasionally.
Last edited by RickO on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenJohn

Post by StevenJohn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:44 am

My CID shows my name, but not the name I requested, when I call someone in this area with Comcast Voice. When I call someone in my area with AT&T it shows Out of Area now, but showed my name in the beginning.

sj

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:50 pm

StevenJohn wrote:My CID shows my name, but not the name I requested, when I call someone in this area with Comcast Voice. When I call someone in my area with AT&T it shows Out of Area now, but showed my name in the beginning.

sj
That makes sense actually. I think the provider that ooma uses (XO) and comcast digital voice use the same CID database.

RickO

Post by RickO » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:26 am

Here's an update on my outbound caller ID problem. It's been working consistently for the past three days. Although I don't yet dare to think that it is absolutely fixed, I am hopeful, and also grateful to ooma support for their efforts in resolving this dilemma for me.
Last edited by RickO on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bryanlyle

Post by bryanlyle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Glad yours is working. Mine, unfortunately, is not :(

Oh well. Not having a $70 a month bill from Verizon more than makes up for it :)

arkumar15

Post by arkumar15 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm

My caller ID also doesn't work properly. It doesn't show my name and my phone number too. Same is the case with my incoming CID. sometimes it displays who is calling me with their phone number and lot of times, cell phone CA (or any state name where they are calling from) with the number. I don't see their names most of the time.
I called the CS several times and every time they said it will take couple of weeks after porting the number and my number ported two months ago. Nothing so far. I am tired of calling them and just living with that.
I have no complaints against ooma except the outbound and inbound caller ID.