Cannot dial out, but I have a dial tone

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
i_am_not_thrilled
Cannot dial out, but I have a dial tone

Post by i_am_not_thrilled » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:32 am

I have a Ooma Telo that worked great until last week. I have a dial tone on either line, but I can't dial out. I dial the numbers and nothing happens: no dial tone, no busy signal (except once), nothing. The dial attempts do show up in my dashboard at My Ooma. I do not know if I can receive calls through my phone. I have had voicemails left on my Telo. As I have my phone voicemail set to pick up before the Telo, I believe this means my phone isn't ringing at all.

I have tried working through customer service/tech support, and I have been quite displeased so far. Like many other posters, I have found the first level support to be reading off a script, unable to help, and only able to suggest calling Customer Support. This is not only ironic---calling someone to talk about problems with your calls---it doesn't work if the Ooma is your only phone. One of the first level techs rudely implied that was my problem for not having a cell phone. Anyway, I emailed Support with my issues (at Support@oomacare.com). They sent a truncated reply that consisted entirely of, "Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us shortly." Three days elapsed. I emailed back inquiring why the delay, and was informed they'd closed my support ticket. I replied answering the questions in their email: yes it affects both lines, yes I get a dial tone with both, and yes, it's been on and connected the whole time, except during attempts to fix it.

That was last night, and I haven't received a reply yet. I think they've tried to dial the Ooma (415 area code, lookup goes to a Ooma telemarketer), but didn't leave a voicemail longer than 1 sec.

My attempts to fix it have included: factory reset with the *#*#99 method; direct connection to the Telo from my computer, where I found that everything was connected according to the Telo; powercycling the Telo, leaving it off for 20 minutes; powercycling the modem, router, and Telo, then restoring them in order modem, then router, then Telo. I've turned QoS to zero. The Internet Portal MAC address was already on Use Built In when I checked. My Internet connection is good, with Upload speeds of ~13Mbps, and download speeds of 4Mbps. Zero dropped packets and low static. All lights on the Telo are a steady blue.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next, and would like nothing more than info about what I can try next, or failing that, how I can return this defective piece of <expletive deleted> to Ooma and receive one that works.

thunderbird

Re: Cannot dial out, but I have a dial tone

Post by thunderbird » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40 am

Make sure that "Do Not Disturb" is not activated.

Go into My Ooma and uncheck Blacklists and Privacy settings. Then remove power and restore power to the Ooma device and try again.

i_am_not_thrilled

Post by i_am_not_thrilled » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:52 am

Forgot to mention that I've already tried turning off DnD.

I only have Ooma Basic, so no Blacklist or advanced privacy settings. My Caller Id is not blocked for outgoing calls.

I'll powercycle it one more time, and leave it off for the 20 minutes I've tried before. What's the harm, right?

i_am_not_thrilled

Post by i_am_not_thrilled » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:53 am

Oh, by 2 lines, I meant that I've tried pushing "1" and dialing out, and I've tried pushing 2 and dialing out. I don't know if that means I actually have two lines or not. Both get dial tones, and both don't work. Sorry for any confusion.

i_am_not_thrilled

Post by i_am_not_thrilled » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 am

Nope. Still won't dial out. Even after waiting 20 minutes with the ooma off. All lights are blue and steady now, just like they've been.

Even if I wait 45 seconds on the line, no busy signal, or phone ring, or anything but dead air.

Tried dialing *96 or *94 first. Same thing. Turned 10-digit dialing on and off, makes no difference.

I'm thinking it's bricked.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:06 am

Are you sure that your phone is set to use touchtones? Ooma does not support pulse dialing.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:16 pm

For testing, take your Ooma Device to a friend or relative's home and test it there using their Modem, Router and their phone plugged into the phone port.

i_am_not_thrilled

Post by i_am_not_thrilled » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:25 pm

No. I am not dragging this box to someone else's house to see if it works over their system. My internet connection is more than adequate to operate an Ooma---it worked perfectly until the Telo decided to brick itself. I have no trouble interconnecting any other device with my home network. I have tried every other piece of advice offered here and from Ooma Care Support and the thing still doesn't work. The problem is with the Telo.

All I want, and have wanted since about three days after this thing bricked, is to simply expedite a warranty return to Ooma. That would have kept me an Ooma customer. Other computer hardware manufacturers, retailers, and ISPs don't seem to have a problem replacing defective products; why does Ooma insist on putting its customers through this much hassle? When the DSL modem I had from AT&T bricked, they had no problem telling me how to go about returning the thing and sending me a working one. Better customer service than AT&T doesn't seem like a difficult hurdle to overcome, but it must be for Ooma.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Logs show your network (or possibly your ISP) is blocking voice packets sent to and from your telo. Have you changed your router firewall settings recently? Either place the telo in between your modem and router, or place the telo in the router DMZ, or relax your firewall settings. Information on ports is here: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advanc ... vice-ports

As for a factory reset, this is only needed if you forgot what telo settings you changed (or can no longer access setup.ooma) and wish to reset to default settings. If you made no changes then no reason to do a factory reset.

thulasitk

Post by thulasitk » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 am

I have the same exact problem for last 1 week. I dont have a complete outage.

sometimes the phone rings, but when you pick up you get static.
sometimes the caller gets the message "number cannot be reached"
when you try to dial, you can hear the dial tone. when you actually dial a number you hear nothing.

in the call logs all these are listed as calls including the time duration.

I have bought Ooma sometime in 2009.

Please help me what is the problem?