ooma killing my upload speeds - is this normal?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
elgatogeorgi
ooma killing my upload speeds - is this normal?

Post by elgatogeorgi » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:17 pm

I have ooma between my cable modem (Cox ISP) and router. With no calls, I typically get upload speeds between 1.5 and 2.0 Mbps. During a call, I only get about 200 kps. I have the default QoS settings in ooma. Download speeds seem unaffected during a call.

cja1505

Re: ooma killing my upload speeds - is this normal?

Post by cja1505 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:50 pm

You could lower the bandwidth Ooma uses with the QoS settings. Supposedly you'd need at least 384 kbps upstream minimum, but set it a bit higher than that and see what happens.

Yes, your upload speeds will decrease during a phone call. That's VOIP for you (it'd be the same with any such service).

plasmo

Post by plasmo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:15 pm

elgatogeorgi wrote:I have ooma between my cable modem (Cox ISP) and router. With no calls, I typically get upload speeds between 1.5 and 2.0 Mbps. During a call, I only get about 200 kps. I have the default QoS settings in ooma. Download speeds seem unaffected during a call.

yes, mine does the same... without using the phone,
upload speeds are around 3000 - 4000 Kb/s

with phone use, it drops down to 150 - 200 Kb/s !

I see minimal download speed decrease though.

cja1505 wrote:You could lower the bandwidth Ooma uses with the QoS settings. Supposedly you'd need at least 384 kbps upstream minimum, but set it a bit higher than that and see what happens.
Has anyone changed their QoS settings? What have people been using, and have you noticed any noticeable degradation of call quality? thx

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:14 am

When you're on a call, ooma will throttle your bandwidth to the specified upload speed in your ooma setup (384 Kbps by default). You can adjust this value higher by configuring your true Internet upload speed. Check out this article for details.

av8rdude

Post by av8rdude » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:25 pm

Mojo wrote:When you're on a call, ooma will throttle your bandwidth to the specified upload speed in your ooma setup (384 Kbps by default). You can adjust this value higher by configuring your true Internet upload speed. Check out this article for details.
So are you saying it is to our advantage to put the true upload speed in for QoS? Others are recommending lowering a small amount. But it sounds like you are saying that we should put the max upload speed in for our connection to allow ooma to work with the entire amount.
Thanks,
Scott

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:31 pm

It's probably best to lower it by a small amount (~10% less than the reported value). This is mainly to help compensate for variations in your upload speed.