DirecTV w/ DSL - getting caller ID

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Groundhound
Re: DirecTV w/ DSL - getting caller ID

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:45 am

bc3tech wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Niknak raises a good question. In addition to dial tone, if you plug a phone with caller ID display into that jack, does it work as expected?
why would i expect it to? my standard phone service has been completely disconnected from my home, i only have standalone (dry loop) DSL service. I expect no dial tone from any jack in my home since I run a multi-handset DECT cordless phone system right from my ooma. that being said, i haven't checked it out for this reason. I assume ooma was doing some "magic" to let DVR boxes work w/o any scout or filter since the manual shows they are not needed.
this is what i'm trying to get an answer to.
No magic, you've got to get dial tone to the DVR from the hub, preferably without using a scout for this purpose. Does the wall connector that delivers your dry loop DSL service to your modem have a single or duel jack? If single, is there a second, unused pair inside that jack?

Edit: By dial tone I mean ooma's dial tone, preferably delivered from your hub's phone port (using a splitter to still serve your cordless phone) to your DVR via your home wiring. How to best get it there over your home wiring is the main issue.
Last edited by Groundhound on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:11 am

[quote] ...I assume ooma was doing some "magic".../quote]

??? what magic - you need a dial tone to dial out !!!

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:36 am

niknak wrote:
...I assume ooma was doing some "magic".../quote]

right because there are no other technological advances nowadays allowing devices to send signals over copper wire that can do more than one thing at a time.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:45 am

bc3tech wrote:
niknak wrote:
...I assume ooma was doing some "magic".../quote]

right because there are no other technological advances nowadays allowing devices to send signals over copper wire that can do more than one thing at a time.
Please see the edit in my post above. DVR's are pretty low-tech when it comes to phone connections, a dial tone is necessary.

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:46 am

Groundhound wrote:No magic, you've got to get dial tone to the DVR from the hub, preferably without using a scout for this purpose. Does the wall connector that delivers your dry loop DSL service to your modem have a single or duel jack? If single, is there a second, unused pair inside that jack?

Edit: By dial tone I mean ooma's dial tone, preferably delivered from your hub's phone port (using a splitter to still serve your cordless phone) to your DVR via your home wiring. How to best get it there over your home wiring is the main issue.
thanks that pretty much explains it. i find it odd, however, that the ooma installation doesn't really point out that you can do the "phone -> wall jack" installation to "pipe" the ooma dial tone throughout your house, yet this is pretty much what's required for DVR installation they cite, as near as i can tell.

the odd part that i see is that it shows in the diagram to split the signal from the wall and go straight to the DVR, and to a scout for phone service at the same jack... that's mighty confusing if you ask me. says to me that the DVR does something a "regular" phone can't since it can work w/o a scout from a jack where a regular phone requires one.
Groundhound wrote:Please see the edit in my post above. DVR's are pretty low-tech when it comes to phone connections, a dial tone is necessary.
understood. i was merely responding to the usless comment.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:54 am

The diagram in question is at the bottom of page 38, and shows a DVR and a Scout connected to the same wall jack via a "standard duplex splitter". This diagram is indeed an error.
Edit: If the splitter was a line1-line2 splitter, it could still function as depicted in the diagram.

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:05 am

Groundhound wrote:The diagram in question is at the bottom of page 38, and shows a DVR and a Scout connected to the same wall jack via a "standard duplex splitter". This diagram is indeed an error.
Edit: If the splitter was a line1-line2 splitter, it could still function as depicted in the diagram.
but only if the user keeps traditional landline service and/or has re-wired their home to "pipe" the ooma signal to other jacks, correct?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:10 am

Yes. Line1 would receive dial tone from the phone port on the hub, while line2 would carry HPNA from the wall port on the hub to the wall port on the scout. The DVR in this case would be connected to line1.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:16 am

bc3tech wrote:i was merely responding to the usless comment.
Pretty strong words for a person with limited understanding who comes to a forum of users and asks for help. I hope that I am misunderstanding your "How could you be so dumb" attitude. Most folks on this forum are just good people trying to help. And maybe if your understanding of your existing equipment (the dvr) was a little better, you would figure it out for yourself. What do you think the MODEM port on the DVR is for?

Please disregard the harsh comments if your intentions were different that they came across to all the rest of us.

Normally I'd say, "Welcome to ooma" but I think I'll wait for additional posts before I do.

(They don't call me miss manners for naught.)
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:21 am

Groundhound wrote:Yes. Line1 would receive dial tone from the phone port on the hub, while line2 would carry HPNA from the wall port on the hub to the wall port on the scout. The DVR in this case would be connected to line1.
yeah - so would be nice to get an Ooma rep in here to recognize the error on their diagram and hopefully update to save future users the same confusion. I'll be plugging my DVR in to a Scout tonight, will update on what happens.