Connecting all phones on the home wire system

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
j21099
Connecting all phones on the home wire system

Post by j21099 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:09 pm

I believe someone must have asked this question, but I cannot find a workable answer.

Before I switched to Ooma, all my phones in different rooms that shared the same number rang. I have only one phone number in our house. Now, the phones that are not connected to either the hub or the scout no longer ring. I have lost five phones in five rooms. I have tried many different ways to make all the phones ring, and I failed. My wife said that I am sacrificing convenience for free service. Does anyone know how I can have the free service without losing the convenience I used to enjoy? I am pulling my hair. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Edgar

but2002

Re: Connecting all phones on the home wire system

Post by but2002 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:13 pm

j21099 wrote:I believe someone must have asked this question, but I cannot find a workable answer.

Before I switched to Ooma, all my phones in different rooms that shared the same number rang. I have only one phone number in our house. Now, the phones that are not connected to either the hub or the scout no longer ring. I have lost five phones in five rooms. I have tried many different ways to make all the phones ring, and I failed. My wife said that I am sacrificing convenience for free service. Does anyone know how I can have the free service without losing the convenience I used to enjoy? I am pulling my hair. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Edgar
You could plug the "Phone" jack on the back of the Hub to the home's wiring. This would eliminate the scout useless and all the phones in the house will work.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:15 pm

Go AVS!

j21099

Post by j21099 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:30 pm

For the author of this answer "You could plug the "Phone" jack on the back of the Hub to the home's wiring. This would eliminate the scout useless and all the phones in the house will work," Thanks a million. I followed the instruction, and all phones in my home now ring again. You are genius. How come Ooma does not want us to know that? I don't need the scout at all. Again, many thanks. Thanks also go to the second person who answered my question. The page is informational but too complicated for me to follow. Thanks for trying to help.

Edgar

but2002

Post by but2002 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:33 pm

j21099 wrote:For the author of this answer "You could plug the "Phone" jack on the back of the Hub to the home's wiring. This would eliminate the scout useless and all the phones in the house will work," Thanks a million. I followed the instruction, and all phones in my home now ring again. You are genius. How come Ooma does not want us to know that? I don't need the scout at all. Again, many thanks. Thanks also go to the second person who answered my question. The page is informational but too complicated for me to follow. Thanks for trying to help.

Edgar
Ooma wants you to buy a scout for each phone in the house so you can use ooma's enhanced features from every phone, but that gets price. I myself only have two phones in my entire house, so one scout is enough, and I do use it.

The reason they don't work when using the Wall jack without the scouts, is the Hub communicates with the scouts using HPNA which is a signal very similar to DSL.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 am

j21099 wrote:For the author of this answer "You could plug the "Phone" jack on the back of the Hub to the home's wiring. This would eliminate the scout useless and all the phones in the house will work," Thanks a million. I followed the instruction, and all phones in my home now ring again. You are genius. How come Ooma does not want us to know that? I don't need the scout at all. Again, many thanks. Thanks also go to the second person who answered my question. The page is informational but too complicated for me to follow. Thanks for trying to help.

Edgar
One thing mentioned on that page is to disconnect any incoming telephone lines to the house at the network interface unit or demarcation box. If you don't, you may have voltage on your house wiring that could cause interference, damage your hub or cause a fire.

You don't mention if you have DSL. If you do, then you won't be able to just simply unplug the incoming phone wire at the demarc box.

Also, it's a good idea to run the phone cable through a surge suppressor connected between the hub and wall jack.

So as you can see it really isn't as simple as plugging the hub into the wall jack which is probably why ooma doesn't want to officially address this capability.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:31 pm

The problem was not with ooma, but in understanding your home's telephone wiring

glad to hear you are up and running

The purpose of the scout is to provide an instant second line somewhere else in the house