Call Screen + Voice Mail = weird behavior?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
bc3tech
Call Screen + Voice Mail = weird behavior?

Post by bc3tech » Tue May 19, 2009 5:49 am

More than once now I've had messages on my ooma where it's the ooma VM system saying "press 1 to accept this call, or hang up to send it to voice mail" and it repeats.

I never get a message from the caller. Can anybody explain this?

Thanks

bryanlyle

Re: Call Screen + Voice Mail = weird behavior?

Post by bryanlyle » Tue May 19, 2009 6:45 am

bc3tech wrote:More than once now I've had messages on my ooma where it's the ooma VM system saying "press 1 to accept this call, or hang up to send it to voice mail" and it repeats.

I never get a message from the caller. Can anybody explain this?

Thanks
Same here. Would love to know what's going on.
follow me on twitter: @bryanlyle

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue May 19, 2009 7:30 am

That would be the announcement when you set up "multi-ring" to another number and you receive a call on that number.
Do you have multi-ring set up at all?

Very odd.....

Wayne

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Tue May 19, 2009 7:43 am

WayneDsr wrote:That would be the announcement when you set up "multi-ring" to another number and you receive a call on that number.
Do you have multi-ring set up at all?

Very odd.....

Wayne
i don't understand...

I do have multi-ring set up to ring my ooma phones and my cell phone, but you're saying this message is played by ooma when i get a call on my cell phone? how would ooma know that?

kdmc69

Post by kdmc69 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:30 pm

In my experience, if I get a call on my cell phone and I hear the Ooma voice telling me to press 1 to accept the call, I know that the call has been made to my home phone and not to my cell phone. This is because of multi-ring. There is no other way that Ooma can interface with my cell.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Tue May 19, 2009 5:10 pm

kdmc69 wrote:In my experience, if I get a call on my cell phone and I hear the Ooma voice telling me to press 1 to accept the call, I know that the call has been made to my home phone and not to my cell phone. This is because of multi-ring. There is no other way that Ooma can interface with my cell.
i'm talking solely about my ooma number, service, and hub. yes i have multi-ring on, but the msg w/ the ooma voice is left on my ooma voice mail - and i don't pick up my cell when it multi-rings.

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Tue May 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Just had it happen again. Caller called, had name & number shown on caller ID. I went down and didn't want to pick it up ("Market Research" was the name) so I hit the VM button to send it to VM.

Listened to my VM and got "press 1 to answer this call, or hang up to transfer to your ooma voice mail"

what's going on?!?! Hopefully the lounge updates will fix this.....

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Wed May 20, 2009 9:50 am

i have disabled my multi-ring as a debugging step. shall see if this problem continues to happen.

Lampson

Post by Lampson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:26 am

Have you OP/anyone got this sorted out yet? I have the same issue (I get 2 VM messages for the same call). The sequence is always this- 1st VM message is the ooma prompt asking to press the 1 key to receive the call, then, the 2nd VM message is that I get the actual callers message. If the caller does not leave a message- I still get the "press 1" prompt VM message. Very annoying due to notifications going to my sms and email systems, not to mention I always have to listen to one "bogus" VM message before getting to a real message. Also, I want just actual VM messages to record as they are ultimately collected and permanently saved in my email storage.

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:39 am

Lampson wrote:Have you OP/anyone got this sorted out yet? I have the same issue (I get 2 VM messages for the same call). The sequence is always this- 1st VM message is the ooma prompt asking to press the 1 key to receive the call, then, the 2nd VM message is that I get the actual callers message. If the caller does not leave a message- I still get the "press 1" prompt VM message. Very annoying due to notifications going to my sms and email systems, not to mention I always have to listen to one "bogus" VM message before getting to a real message. Also, I want just actual VM messages to record as they are ultimately collected and permanently saved in my email storage.
Do you have multi-ring set up? after I disabled mine the problem stopped happening. I never re-enabled it.