OOMA Dial Tone

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
steves818
OOMA Dial Tone

Post by steves818 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:32 am

This might be posted - Sorry for not checking!

How about we get rid of the stupid Dial tone and just use a regular dial tone. This it both a crazy tone but also drives me nuts - had I only known I would have returned the device, but what is done is done.

I suggest we just use a regular tone as an option as I don't need to hear their dumb sound evertime i use the phone!

southsound

Re: OOMA Dial Tone

Post by southsound » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:39 am

So help me to understand: you would rather pay $_____________ (you can fill in the number) per month for service with a standard "A 440" dial tone that you only hear for a second or so before you dial than to have free calling anywhere in the US and hear a little musical tone?

You mentioned that if you had known you would have returned the device - is it really too late? Many stores have a liberal return program.

The reason for the tone is to let you know that the ooma system is working. If you had a system where you had integrated a landline, when the ooma is down for any reason you would get a regular dial tone. That would mean that if you called out at that time you might be responsible for toll charges assosciated with your landline.

My humble suggestion is that you lighten up about the ooma dialtone, take a deep breath, and enjoy the massive savings you will be getting over the years. Just my opinion, YMMV.

And welcome to ooma! The only thing you'll miss is your old landline bill (and maybe a normal dialtone). ;)
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:44 am

I use ooma as my main service, but I also have a landline for backup. If I pick up the phone and don't hear the ooma dialtone, I know ooma (or my network) is down. If I hear a regular dialtone, I know not to make a long distant call.
The sound is only about one second long. I can't see how this could possibly cause someone to return a product that gives FREE LONG DISTANCE, FREE CALLER ID, FREE CALL WAITING AND FREE BASIC VOICE MAIL after initial equipment investment, but that's your call.

One option for you would be to slowly bring the phone to your ear after hitting the talk button. About one second delay would work. By the time the phone is in audible range you'll hear a regular dial tone.

Wayne

Southsound - You beat me this time!

atici

Post by atici » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:07 am

Although I like ooma very much and can bear the dial tone, I do agree that it's not absolutely necessary from ooma's standpoint to enforce this to everyone. I know it's about advertising, nevertheless I think a better product speaks more. It's not like someone will hear the dialtone and decide to buy ooma. :)

I think ooma should give the option to change the dialtone to something less gay.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:51 pm

atici wrote:Although I like ooma very much and can bear the dial tone, I do agree that it's not absolutely necessary from ooma's standpoint to enforce this to everyone. I know it's about advertising, nevertheless I think a better product speaks more. It's not like someone will hear the dialtone and decide to buy ooma. :)

I think ooma should give the option to change the dialtone to something less gay.
It's not about advertising. Read southsound's reply again:
southsound wrote: The reason for the tone is to let you know that the ooma system is working. If you had a system where you had integrated a landline, when the ooma is down for any reason you would get a regular dial tone. That would mean that if you called out at that time you might be responsible for toll charges assosciated with your landline.

but2002

Post by but2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Perhaps the ooma system should detect if you are using integrated land-line or not, and if you aren't using an integrated land-line to provide a standard dial-tone, or if that situation is unacceptable, to give a choice in the lounge. I personally like the ooma tone, and also wish that it was changeable to anything custom.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Actually, I'm not using an integrated landline. I'm using ooma separate from my landline. ooma has no idea there is a landline in use. Since I am plugged into my wall jack, if ooma or my network goes down, my landline dial tone takes over since it's the only dialtone left.

That one second, I repeat *ONE SECOND* of ooma dialtone prevents me from racking up the $$ on my pay for long distance landline.

Wayne

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Isn't it 1.06758 seconds?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:26 pm

I checked again and darn, you're right, Scott. Longer than I originally thought. Heck, maybe he has a point... :-)

Wayne

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:49 am

Getting back to the original discussion. I have grown to like the Ooma Dial Tone. It's the sound of freedom.