Voicemail Indicator on handsets

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
southsound
Re: Voicemail Indicator on handsets

Post by southsound » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:20 am

but2002 wrote: Ah yes, I forgot. You're the one with the Linksys router that is at risk of severe data loss from spilling to the bottom because of unplugged ethernet jacks.

(LOL)
Is someone mocking the resident raccoon? Or are you trying to say that I don't have to tie a knot in the end of unplugged data cables? :)
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

MarkHofmann

Post by MarkHofmann » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:23 am

but2002 wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:Not trying to "rub it in" but my VMI light works fine (comes on and goes off) on my Vtech phone connected to the scout. Maybe it has something to do with the phone itself?

I just wanted to point it out that this issue isn't impacting everyone. Hope you get it resolved though!
Unplug your scout(Power, not phone cable) and plug it back in WHILE you havfe a voicemail, then listen to the voicemail on the hub. Tell me then if the scout updates the VMI light on the Scout connected phone
I left myself a voicemail - it updated the voicemail indicator on the scout, but not the Uniden handsets. I unplugged power from the scout, and when it came back up - this time, it updated the voicemail indicator on the handset base. I listened to the voicemail from the hub (which is in my basement with no phones attached to it - just the "wall" connection for the scout hookup), deleted the message - it updated the hub and scout, but not the handset base. I reset power on the scout again, it and updated.

I does seem like resetting power on the scout does update the handset base most of the time.

I'm trying to figure out why I have to keep doing this to the scout? The scout itself has the proper information, just not relaying it consistently.

Thanks for the suggestions..

- Mark

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:31 am

I ran a test to duplicate the issue.
Called my ooma line from my landline, left a voicemail message.
Within seconds my Panasonic KX TG 1033S 3 phone dect 6 showed NEW VOICEMAIL. As soon as I listened to the voicemail the phone went from NEW VOICEMAIL to MISSED CALL.
Once I viewed the ID, MISSED CALL was cleared from the display.

I guess some phones work fine with ooma and others don't. For reference, this one works great.

Wayne

but2002

Post by but2002 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:40 am

WayneDsr wrote:I ran a test to duplicate the issue.
Called my ooma line from my landline, left a voicemail message.
Within seconds my Panasonic KX TG 1033S 3 phone dect 6 showed NEW VOICEMAIL. As soon as I listened to the voicemail the phone went from NEW VOICEMAIL to MISSED CALL.
Once I viewed the ID, MISSED CALL was cleared from the display.

I guess some phones work fine with ooma and others don't. For reference, this one works great.

Wayne
Was your phone connected to the SCOUT? And was the scout unplugged recently. Those are the two things that seem to trigger this, and it's 100% scout related.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:10 pm

No, it was on the hub, but will try it on the scout.

Wayne

but2002

Post by but2002 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:13 pm

WayneDsr wrote:No, it was on the hub, but will try it on the scout.

Wayne
I'm gonna quote myself from earlier in the thread
Unplug your scout(Power, not phone cable) and plug it back in WHILE you have a voicemail, then listen to the voicemail on the hub. Tell me then if the scout updates the VMI light on the Scout connected phone
That's how to reproduce this issue.

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:30 pm

but2002 wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:Not trying to "rub it in" but my VMI light works fine (comes on and goes off) on my Vtech phone connected to the scout. Maybe it has something to do with the phone itself?

I just wanted to point it out that this issue isn't impacting everyone. Hope you get it resolved though!
Unplug your scout(Power, not phone cable) and plug it back in WHILE you havfe a voicemail, then listen to the voicemail on the hub. Tell me then if the scout updates the VMI light on the Scout connected phone
I just tried this test and everything worked fine for me. Here's how I have it set up now. Uniden TRU9465 connected to the Hub and a GE Cordless to the Scout. I originally started this post when I had the Uniden on the Scout ... so I'll switch it around to see if I can duplicate the problem you're having. I made some changes to the Uniden that I thought fixed my issues.

Anyway ... called and left a voicemail. VM indicator worked on both phones. Then unplugged the scout power for a minute or so, plugged it back in while there was still a message. Listened to the message, and within a few seconds of completion, both phones VM indicators turned off.

A couple of considerations that I can test are ... 1) I checked the VM from the Scout in question ... maybe that automatically restores the connection to the Hub and makes everything fine. I'll check the message from the Hub or another Scout to see. 2) It may be specific to the Uniden. I'll hook mine to the Scout and test.

In my current setup, my VM indicator has been working perfectly for months ... much improved over how it handled Vonage.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:14 pm

OK ... some results from more tests.

It appears to be connected to loss of power to the PHONE connected to the Scout, and not the Scout itself.

Here's what I found.

1) I could not duplicate the problem by unplugging the Scout and plugging it back in. This was true for both the GE Cordless and the Uniden TRU9465.

2) However, I noticed that when I moved the Uniden to the Scout, which included unplugging the Uniden, I had the issue. It took a couple of times disconnecting the Wall port of the Scout to get the VM indicator working. Once it was working again, subsequent power disconnection from the Scout only could not duplicate the problem.

3) I tried the same thing with the GE Cordless. Again, loss of power to the phone is what triggered the issue.

It appears to me that it is the phone that gets confused and doesn't "reset" or "sync" with the Scout. This is only a guess, but maybe when connected to the Hub there's kind of a refresh with the VM indicator signal or frequency, and the maybe the Scout works differently when sending the signal to the phone. The Scout seems to refresh when it's power is disconnected, but it doesn't know when the PHONE's power is disconnected to in order to refresh.

I guess most people don't have an issue with intermittent power to their phone connected to the Scout, so they don't run across this issue. But it looks to me like the Scout is probably operating as it was designed, and just wasn't designed to know when a phone loses power, or designed to have a constant VM "refresh" if there is such a thing.
Last edited by mthomtech on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premier Member

MarkHofmann

Post by MarkHofmann » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:20 pm

It is 100% a scout issue. I have two lines. Voicemail indicator updates and reset all the time on my primary line (which is the "phone" jack from the hub). The line assigned to the scout however is hit or miss. There are times when there is voicemail and the indicator is not lit, there are other times it is lit, and I delete it, and it doesn't clear it.

The fix is to reboot the scout. Then it updates the handset. It is clearly a scout only issue. If I could run both my lines from the hub, I would - and not use the scout.

Everything else is working 100% perfect. I have nothing but great things to say about Ooma - but would really like to get that scout voicemail indicator problem resolved.

- Mark

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:23 pm

Mark,

I read a couple of different things in your post. In one you said that there was no phone connected to your hub, just the wall port to use your Scouts. In another you said that you have Line 1 of your Uniden set plugged into the hub and Line 2 from the Scout. Was one setup for a specific test? Which is your main setup?

On your Uniden, do you have the Voice Mail Tone set to OFF? That will set the Uniden to use FSK technology for the VMI, which is what worked for me.

On the Scout issue, I recognize that this issue only occurs on the Scout, but I still could not recreate the issue with the instructions posted by but2002. From my tests, it is loss of power to the phone that triggers the issue ... for both phones I tested while connected to the Scout.

Your issue is that the VMI NEVER turns OFF on phones connected to the Scout, correct?
Premier Member