DSC Powerseries alarm

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Bill D
Re: DSC Powerseries alarm

Post by Bill D » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

A suggestion - I ditched dial-up on my DSC Powerseries Alarm and installed a $99 board (model 2DS) from http://www.eyez-on.com

I've had it for 2 years and it's great. No monthly fees for remote control of everything you can do on the DSC Keypad via iPhone, Android or PC browser with free text messages and email alerts.

It installs in 15 minutes - impersonates a DSC Keypad - hook up 4 wires, plug in an Ethernet jack and log into their portal It even has "line cut" alert, which dial-up can't do. Also lets you control the programmable outputs on your DSC panel. Great user forum and tech support as well.

They also offer $9 per month professional 24 hour monitoring over IP which I subscribed to a year ago.

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Bill D wrote:A suggestion - I ditched dial-up on my DSC Powerseries Alarm and installed a $99 board (model 2DS) from http://www.eyez-on.com

I've had it for 2 years and it's great. No monthly fees for remote control of everything you can do on the DSC Keypad via iPhone, Android or PC browser with free text messages and email alerts.

It installs in 15 minutes - impersonates a DSC Keypad - hook up 4 wires, plug in an Ethernet jack and log into their portal It even has "line cut" alert, which dial-up can't do. Also lets you control the programmable outputs on your DSC panel. Great user forum and tech support as well.

They also offer $9 per month professional 24 hour monitoring over IP which I subscribed to a year ago.
Thanks for the tip. This looks really nice. It looks like they just came out with a new third generation (3) model late last year, still only $99. Looks identical, except the 2nd gen is a red board, and the 3rd gen is a green board. All the chips on the two boards both look identical though.

This looks like a real cheap and easy option for iPhone integration. Basically looks like you just hook it up to the 4 wire KEYBUS, then plug in an ethernet jack, then your iPhone has now become a keypad.

When I installed the DSC a couple years ago, I even bought two wireless keyfobs for almost hundred dollars for both. With this, you wouldn't need the wireless keyfobs either, since you probably also carry your phone with you everywhere. I looked into something like this a couple years ago. And the only options back then were expensive proprietary modules with monthly fees. And they didn't even have true iPhone integration or apps, it was more that they would send cryptic text messages or emails sent to your phone. And many had monthly fees in addition to the $200-$300 price for the module.

Great find! I'm going to order one. Thanks for sharing....

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Good luck with it. I'm still very pleased with Eyez-On, including their Professional Monitoring partner for $9 per month.

I recently added 5 wireless sensors (made by ION). Some are on a second partition that's not alarmed. I've programmed them on my Eyez-On Portal as "followers" so they alert me via text message when gates and/or garage doors are opened and closed while I'm out of town, even while the main partition stays armed. Very Cool. Eyez-On has recently added reasonable limits and throttling of "followers" so their servers don't get overloaded.

Put your modem/router on a UPS but leave the DSC panel off the UPS (it has its own battery) and you will get a text alert when AC power goes off. Nice to know if someone killed your AC.

I wish everything worked as nicely as Eyez-On's stuff.

geryl

Post by geryl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:18 am

Hi,

Has this problem been solved. My alarm detects the phone line, I see the call to the central station in my outbound log but the central station isn't getting the call. I programmed the *99 Delay; I talked the Alarm Company tech and he said he has never gotten Ooma working. Any additional advise?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:32 am

Is the phone line configured to alarm mode?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:40 am

geryl wrote:
I programmed the *99 Delay; I talked the Alarm Company tech and he said he has never gotten Ooma working. Any additional advise?
The *99, OOMA calling code is an obsolete code that was previously used for faxing. As Murphy mentioned, you should have the Alarm mode set up in My Ooma.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

geryl

Post by geryl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:05 am

Thank you! That did it! It works!