Everyone is telling me my Voice is Breaking Up

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
scottlindner
Re: Everyone is telling me my Voice is Breaking Up

Post by scottlindner » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:48 am

WayneDsr wrote:Bottom line here is not ooma. He has a terrible internet connection. Speed of connection means nothing unless you have a good quality connecton.

See his test here.
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... a&start=10

Until that gets fixed he will have problems.
Blaming ooma is like blaming Ford when his new car runs out of gas.

Wayne
Yep. ISP is the problem, not Ooma. Thanks for bringing this full circle.

Cheers,
Scott

whn

Post by whn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Im sorry but I totally blame OOMA for dropping my voice every other word or when 2 calls come in. How can I blame my ISP for such horrific voice quality?

Atop of that understanding the qhole QOS bullsheeet . Just make it work OOMA.

Its not my ISP, I have clean fast internet .

its OOMA and the hub and the way it operates.

Sunrocket never had these problems with sound or voice dropping, Magic Jack doesnt, neither does Vonage.

ITS OOMA.

How Can I blame my ISP for giving me fast internet, faster speeds than OOMA needs?

Its OOMA fault all the way.

Its horrific, I CANNOT place important calls anymore because no one can understand what I am saying every other word it seems. My voice keeps cutting off during some calls.

Im slowly letting everyone know across Best Buys and internet to be careful of this and buying OOMA.

I had to get a cell phone again just to make important calls.

I know OOMA knows this is a major problem but opts to stay quiet about it.

Im tired of you people defending OOMA like they are going to give you a nickel every time you defend them.

Im not alone in these voice quality troubles.

This will be the fall of OOMA . Arrogance and not addressing this issue .

Make it work OOMA, make it work. enough with the QOS b.s.
Last edited by whn on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:32 pm

You may not be alone but you're definately the minority when it comes to your opinion of ooma...

http://www.amazon.com/ooma-Phone-System ... ewpoints=1

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/3322

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... merreviews
Go AVS!

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:45 pm

whn wrote:Im sorry but I totally blame OOMA for dropping my voice every other word or when 2 calls come in.
blah, blah, blah...
Im tired of you people defending OOMA like they are going to give you a nickel every time you defend them.
blah, blah, blah...
Make it work OOMA, make it work. enough with the QOS b.s.
My goodness. It must be a blessing for those who hear from you on the phone to have every other word lost. I'd love to have the forum do the same with your posts if I knew how to program it.

I said in a post to you several months ago that VOIP is not for everyone. Let me put it another way. Some people look at an 8 oz glass with 4 oz of water and say, "The glass is half full!" while others say, "The glass is half empty!" Then there are those sad people who say, "I ordered a cheeseburger!!"

I hope that you are not going on a rant to post lots of nastiness like before. But if you are interested, I'll be a lot of us would gladly give up those nickels you talk about to buy your hub and scout from you. Heck, I'll even consider throwing in one of my Net10 cell phones to sweeten the deal. :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:54 am

whn wrote:How Can I blame my ISP for giving me fast internet, faster speeds than OOMA needs?
This demonstrates a lack of understanding of what an ISP provides for you. Ever hear gamers complain about ISP lag, responsiveness, and frame drops? Gaming requires even lower bandwidth than VOIP. The ISPs have done a great job selling you bigger numbers. I liken it to the monster trucks people have been buying lately to fetch groceries.

One active call of Ooma is 48kbps in both directions. You can do that over dial up. So why are you having problems since your performance is so fast? There is more to ISP than a high score on speedtest.net.

If you are actually interested in understanding the problem, we can help. If you want to rant about your speedtest.net high score, most of us aren't into the compensator competition but I'm sure you can find a few lurking if you that is what you want.

Scott

StevenJohn

Post by StevenJohn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:23 pm

whn wrote:Its OOMA fault all the way.
Man you need an AT&T landline and fast!

Here's my story for today. My ooma problem.

Since Friday all the people I've called told me I was breaking up. Not really bad, and not continuous. I've had ooma for two months without a problem with voice quality. I've read this forum enough to know what to test. The tests revealed really good download speeds and upload speeds. It also showed a packet loss of about 5%.

I called Comcast and the tech dude said it was the ooma box that was causing my packet loss. So I asked him how much upload/download speed I was paying for and he told me the upload is always higher than the download. I thanked him and ended the call. I knew I had reached someone without the needed experience.

I then connected my computer directly to the modem. I still got packet losses. I called Comcast back and set up a service call. In other words, my ooma problem is a Comcast problem.

sj

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:10 am

StevenJohn wrote:I called Comcast and the tech dude said it was the ooma box that was causing my packet loss. So I asked him how much upload/download speed I was paying for and he told me the upload is always higher than the download. I thanked him and ended the call. I knew I had reached someone without the needed experience.
That has been my experience as well. BTW, did you get the upload is higher than the download reversed, or is that what the tech told you?
StevenJohn wrote:I then connected my computer directly to the modem. I still got packet losses. I called Comcast back and set up a service call. In other words, my ooma problem is a Comcast problem
That is exactly the test we need to do when we are having problems like you are describing. Another thing to add to it is to turn off all AV software. I have found this can complicate the online tests.

Thanks for sharing. I hope they figure this out for you. ISPs are going to need to figure out how to improve their QoS. More and more people are using the Internet for more than just web surfing.

Cheers,
Scott

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:20 am

scottlindner wrote: Thanks for sharing. I hope they figure this out for you. ISPs are going to need to figure out how to improve their QoS. More and more people are using the Internet for more than just web surfing.
Unfortunately, QoS to the phone and cable duopolies that exist in most markets has a much different meaning than it does to us. They own the data pipes that run through the public right-of-ways and sell the access and services, and want to control which services have priority.

StevenJohn

Post by StevenJohn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:36 am

scottlindner wrote:That has been my experience as well. BTW, did you get the upload is higher than the download reversed, or is that what the tech told you?
That's exactly what he told me. He even repeated it when I asked him if he had it reversed.

Well, three Comcast dudes showed up and spent about an hour. Two techs and their boss. I felt so privileged. They could not find a problem, and I could not duplicate the problem today. Everything was working fine. Then one of them used their test gear on my Motorola 5100 and said it was losing packets like mad. He put on a test modem and it tested good, so he went back to my modem and it tested bad. I ended up with a different modem and ooma is working great for now. I am very hopeful.

sj

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:11 am

StevenJohn wrote: Then one of them used their test gear on my Motorola 5100 and said it was losing packets like mad. He put on a test modem and it tested good, so he went back to my modem and it tested bad. I ended up with a different modem and ooma is working great for now. I am very hopeful.

sj
Glad to hear they got the bad modem sorted out and things are working well for you! Just curious - did any of them comment on the ooma hub?
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.