Landline with Ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dkcook2
Landline with Ooma

Post by dkcook2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:12 pm

I just got my Oooma system today and have it set up and running with my land-line (Qwest). I submitted to have my number ported over to OOMA. Things went smooth on the setup. I did not have caller ID or call waiting on my old land-line. From what I've read I don't think the caller ID will work until my number is ported to OOMA. Is that right? The other question is will the call waiting work in the meantime or will that also begin to work when the number is ported?

thanks for helping a newbie, Dave

Groundhound

Re: Landline with Ooma

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Welcome dkcook2. I don't have direct experience with using ooma with a landline but from what I understand your assumptions are correct, since inbound calls will still be handled by your existing landline until your port goes through.

dkcook2

Post by dkcook2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks for the response. Can I get a little advice on call quality also.? It is not bad but there is a faint static. I use Comcast - Cable as my ISP. I also ran a VOIP test that I see others have run, and here are the results. Do I need to cahnge any quality of service settings from the default?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5147232 bps
Upload speed: 3464760 bps
Download quality of service: 37 %
Upload quality of service: 82 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 387 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 67 ms
Average round trip time to server: 68 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 30400000bps
Route concurrency: 5.906087
Download TCP forced idle: 75 %
Maximum route speed: 7825072bps

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:13 am

Can you give us a bit more information about your setup? How your hub is connected relative to your modem & router (if you have a router) and the rest of your network. Do you have any unusual network demands (servers, torrents, etc). Are you using a scout, what kind of phones and how are they connected to your ooma devices.
Also, are the test results you posted typical, or do you get a lot of variability when you repeat the test at different times of the day?

dkcook2

Post by dkcook2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:40 am

Groundhound wrote:Can you give us a bit more information about your setup? How your hub is connected relative to your modem & router (if you have a router) and the rest of your network.
The hub is connected between the Modem (Motorola Surfboard) and a wireless Router (Linksys Wireless G). MODEM // HUB // WIRELESS ROUTER.
Groundhound wrote: Do you have any unusual network demands (servers, torrents, etc).
No...simple home network. One computer connected to wireless router by Ethernet and one printer connected to router by Ethernet. Wireless for the rest of the house mostly for work laptop.
Groundhound wrote: Are you using a scout, what kind of phones and how are they connected to your ooma devices.
I am using a scout. Off of the hub I have a simple AT&T 210 wired phone. Off of the scout upstairs I have two handset phone, Uniden.
Groundhound wrote:Also, are the test results you posted typical, or do you get a lot of variability when you repeat the test at different times of the day?
I noticed some variablity in the test results I'm not sure what I should be looking for. There were never any lost packets but the QoS seemed to jump quite a bit and the download/upload speeds varied some.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:48 am

dkcook2 wrote:I am using a scout. Off of the hub I have a simple AT&T 210 wired phone. Off of the scout upstairs I have two handset phone, Uniden.
Do you notice the static on all your phones?

dkcook2

Post by dkcook2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:09 am

Groundhound wrote:Do you notice the static on all your phones?
Yes, the ones off the scout and the one off the hub. I still can hear but it is a faint buzz in the background. Is that normal?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:15 am

Some users have complained of static associated with the scout, but if you are hearing it on the hub-connected wired phone then that's different. Static is usually not a QoS issue so its hard to say what the cause is at this point, although if you get consistently poor download quality of service like on the test you posted I'd have a talk with Comcast.

My setup is similar to yours in that I use Comcast (6 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up) and have the hub connected to my modem. I don't know if changing QoS settings in your hub will help you, but FWIW here are the settings I currently use with good results:
In http://setup.ooma.com > Advanced
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps) 768
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps) 4500
Reserve Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 130 (default)

One caveat with using ooma's QoS is that while on a phone call it will take a larger slice of your bandwidth than you might expect, but the QoS is conditional so it only is in effect during a call.

dkcook2

Post by dkcook2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for your help. I will try these settings.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:17 am

I wonder if the landline could be causing the buzz. Perhaps one of the users who have experience with having a landline integrated will comment.