Google Voice Invites

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
StevenJohn
Re: Google Voice Invites

Post by StevenJohn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 pm

I got mine yesterday. I signed up at least a year ago. I have been playing around with it a little and I guess I'm going to have to put my imagination to work now.

sj

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:47 pm

scoutconnor wrote:
southsound wrote:Connor,

Thanks so much! GV is up and running now. I sure love the people on this forum. I think I may be the first raccoon with his own GV number. :D
No problem,
I already have an account and was not going to use my invite so I figure it is better to give it to someone who will put it to good use.
Just make me a deal, when you get your invite, give it to someone else okay?
P.S. Congrats on becoming the first raccoon with a GV number! :)
Of course! And what do you want to guess it will be another forum member!

I just registered on the GV forum and was able to get the login southsound with the same avatar you see to the left. Life is good!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:16 pm

Got my invite today. As I had suspected though, no local calling #s. My area code is broken into 3 local calling zones. I can get a number in two of the three, neither of which is mine of course. No point in requesting a number right now. I'll just have to wait until they get some fresh ones.

gpadick

Post by gpadick » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:11 am

I got my GV invite last night. I have read that ooma Premier offers GV extensions. I can't find them anywhere.

Can someone tell me how to get to the GV extensions?

Thanks
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

Joshua 24:15

Dick

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:14 am

gpadick wrote:I got my GV invite last night. I have read that ooma Premier offers GV extensions. I can't find them anywhere.

Can someone tell me how to get to the GV extensions?

Thanks
I don't believe they are available as of yet...

Read this http://blog.ooma.com/2009/03/18/ooma-and-google-voice/
Go AVS!

gpadick

Post by gpadick » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:25 am

Thanks for your reply Aveamantium.

Do you know if the GV extensions are needed before going to GV? Numbers in my area are not available so I would need to call forward my current ooma number to the GV number. That I should be able to do on what is offered by premier now.

Can you think of any other reason needing the GV extensions?
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

Dick

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:34 am

I guess I don't quite understand what you are asking... Google voice will forward all calls from one number (GV Number) to several numbers (ooma, cell phone, work, etc). If a GV number is not available for your area right now, you can wait as long as your invite is good for to see if any new numbers pop up.

I actually use my GV number to forward family calls so they don't have to call long distance to reach me (My GV number is in their area and it forwards to my ooma number).

Most of us will have both a GV number and ooma Premier before the extensions go live. You should be able to set the extensions up later even if you get your GV account now.

Hope this helps!
Go AVS!

gpadick

Post by gpadick » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 am

Aveamantium wrote:I guess I don't quite understand what you are asking... Google voice will forward all calls from one number (GV Number) to several numbers (ooma, cell phone, work, etc). If a GV number is not available for your area right now, you can wait as long as your invite is good for to see if any new numbers pop up.

I actually use my GV number to forward family calls so they don't have to call long distance to reach me (My GV number is in their area and it forwards to my ooma number).

Most of us will have both a GV number and ooma Premier before the extensions go live. You should be able to set the extensions up later even if you get your GV account now.

Hope this helps!
Well because there are no local GV numbers available now and if I signed up now I would have to take a different number which then I would have to tell everyone I have a different number. Yuch. We have had this number for 20+ years.

Keeping the same number and not telling others about my new number would require me to have ooma forward the call to my new GV number and have it call my cell number and others.

Right?
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

Dick

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:45 am

Southsound:
I'm not sure if this was a coincidence or not, but I signed up for Google Voice notification about 2 or 3 months ago.
Yesterday morning I decided to sign up again, thinking maybe they lost my original one. 2 hours later, I got the invite.

Coincidence? Not sure, but I would give it another try just in case.

Not sure if this matters but I also have a Gmail account.

Wayne

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:50 am

Actually Scoutconnor fixed me up with an extra he had so I am all signed up and working! They even had a local number in the same area code as my ooma. Life is good. I wonder if having 3 scouts in the family (one an eagle) made a difference?

I still have my original request for invite in so if it comes up I'll pass it along to another forum member.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.