Question About Connecting Ooma Telo to 8-Port Switch

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bmccollum
Question About Connecting Ooma Telo to 8-Port Switch

Post by bmccollum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:07 am

Bought the Ooma Telo on sale from a local electronics retailer (BB) last Friday after doing tons of research on the device.

Due to space limitations on my already crowded computer desk, I opted to connect the Ooma Telo as follows...

--- Coax cable from wall to Cable Modem
--- Network cable from Cable Modem to Buffalo Tech wireless router
--- Network cable from Buffalo Tech wireless router to an 8-port D-Link switch/hub located at other end of house
--- Network cable connected from the D-Link switch/hub to the Ooma Telo

So I basically haven't had to disconnect or rearrange anything... I just plugged the Ooma Telo into the D-Link switch and began using it.

I know I've read the preferred setup is Cable Modem > Ooma Telo > Wireless Router but I really want to try the current setup of Cable Modem > Wireless Router > 8-Port Switch > Ooma Telo if the voice quality and performance seem to remain good as I've experienced thus far in my limited usage of the device in making/receiving calls.

Does anyone else have the setup I've currently got, and if so, have you been pleased with the quality of the calls and so forth? Have you adjusted any specific QoS settings or have you just connected everything and ran with it without delving into any custom settings or configurations?

It's my understanding that the 8-port switch I have should have the intelligence as far as bandwidth distribution is concerned in providing the Ooma Telo with what's needed for it to operate smoothly when calls are taking place, or am I wrong there?

Many thanks for any replies/suggestions/etc. anyone can give. I'm loving the new device and the associated cost-savings thus far!

murphy

Re: Question About Connecting Ooma Telo to 8-Port Switch

Post by murphy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:23 am

Your configuration will work fine.
If you have any call quality problems, check your router to see if you can assign a higher priority (QOS) to the Ooma box.
Temporarily connect a computer to the Ooma Home port and set the QOS for both upload and download to 0.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bohemyo

Post by bohemyo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:18 pm

I did this because my small mac router only has one out ethernet. The Ooma stopped making calls. it can still receive calls.

bmccollum wrote:Bought the Ooma Telo on sale from a local electronics retailer (BB) last Friday after doing tons of research on the device.

Due to space limitations on my already crowded computer desk, I opted to connect the Ooma Telo as follows...

--- Coax cable from wall to Cable Modem
--- Network cable from Cable Modem to Buffalo Tech wireless router
--- Network cable from Buffalo Tech wireless router to an 8-port D-Link switch/hub located at other end of house
--- Network cable connected from the D-Link switch/hub to the Ooma Telo

So I basically haven't had to disconnect or rearrange anything... I just plugged the Ooma Telo into the D-Link switch and began using it.

I know I've read the preferred setup is Cable Modem > Ooma Telo > Wireless Router but I really want to try the current setup of Cable Modem > Wireless Router > 8-Port Switch > Ooma Telo if the voice quality and performance seem to remain good as I've experienced thus far in my limited usage of the device in making/receiving calls.

Does anyone else have the setup I've currently got, and if so, have you been pleased with the quality of the calls and so forth? Have you adjusted any specific QoS settings or have you just connected everything and ran with it without delving into any custom settings or configurations?

It's my understanding that the 8-port switch I have should have the intelligence as far as bandwidth distribution is concerned in providing the Ooma Telo with what's needed for it to operate smoothly when calls are taking place, or am I wrong there?

Many thanks for any replies/suggestions/etc. anyone can give. I'm loving the new device and the associated cost-savings thus far!

JonInNY

Post by JonInNY » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:39 pm

I have my Telo after a switch for several years, with no problems at all.