OOMA REFUSES TO CANCEL ACCOUNT

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
BobbyS
OOMA REFUSES TO CANCEL ACCOUNT

Post by BobbyS » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:52 am

After speaking with a rep and repeatedly requesting to have my account cancelled, I just found out I was still being billed 6 months later. It is a Credit Card I quit using and now I find out I have been billed for the last 6 months.

I would suggest and will suggest to everyone to never use this company, sorta like a scam company.

Now I will dispute the charges and I will contact the BBB.

Also will call back and speak with an agent, not that they will do anything.

BobbyS

Re: OOMA REFUSES TO CANCEL ACCOUNT

Post by BobbyS » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:00 am

Just filed complaint with the BBB.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:38 am

The agent canceled the account today. He realized he messed up 6 mths ago and didn't finalize cancelation of the account.

jrose78

Post by jrose78 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:26 pm

I just had a similar experience. I just called to cancel and I told the rep I want to cancel and that I plan to sell the Ooma device. I was told the account would be open if I was going to sell it and that there would continue to be charges but that there is a credit to absorb charges. I said I wanted to cancel again and I was told I don't understand. Can someone from Ooma explain to me why when I say I want to cancel that your reps don't think I actually want to cancel? Do your reps get a bonus if they keep account open.

jrose78

Post by jrose78 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:45 pm

This is getting interesting see email below: It seems that you can NOT cancel you account and then try and sell your device. You have to leave it open ... well at least that is what this emailing is implying.

"We regret hearing that you no longer wish to continue with your Ooma telephone phone service. But as we discussed during your call with Ooma Customer Service [today/on 12/06/2016], you may pass on the benefits and savings of the Ooma service to a family member or friend by transferring the account and your Ooma service to that person.

Since we will need to keep your account active while you look for a new owner of this device, we have issued a credit to your card on file in the amount of $[10], which will cover the monthly taxes and fees for the next [2] months or until the account has been successfully transferred to the new customer. You can take advantage of this period to sell or give away your Ooma device.

Please ensure that your account remains active until the transfer of ownership takes place.

Please provide this reference number to the recipient of your device *************.
Inform the new owner of the Ooma device to call us with the reference number and request to change the ownership of the device and account free of charge.

The following information will be needed from the new owner of the device during the transfer process:
Name
Email Address
Service Address
Billing and Shipping Address
Credit Card Information

If the new customer has not activated their Ooma service using this reference number by [03/03/2017], you will need to call Ooma Customer Service at 888-711-6662 to obtain an extension or to cancel your service.

It was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to hearing from you again.

Thank you for choosing Ooma!

Sincerely,"

How would I know if the person I sold the device to activates it so I stop getting billed. This policy is really really bad. I am going to call again to cancel my account. I must have to say cancel three times for it to work ;-) .

kdawn0724

Post by kdawn0724 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 am

Thank goodness I am still under the time limit that I can return the Ooma Telo to Amazon!!! Just called for 2nd time to cancel. Kept explaining that it was my ISP probably and not Ooma - that was the problem for dropped calls... Then they want to know who my ISP is...

First call, I got "troubleshooting" that was to stop dropped calls. Next day hubby is on important phone call and it dropped.

Sooo... You can not sell your used device unless you have open account?? That is crazy. And seems illegal.

Good luck.

Pajoe

Post by Pajoe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:05 am

I was told today by OOMA customer (phone) support person that even though OOMA does not have the items in stock that I ordered over 10 days ago and they have no idea when the items will be available - I am not allowed to cancel my order because it has a telo attached to it. I was told I must wait until I receive the package and contact them about returning it and getting a refund to my credit card. This was after an OOMA on-line chat representative wrote that I could cancel the order if I called their customer support phone number.

I called our state attorney general's office and after explaining it to them filed an official complaint with our state's Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection.

peteohms

Post by peteohms » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:08 pm

This is how the Ooma cancellation scam works. When you try to cancel service the slick employee on the phone tells you he is cancelling but just in case you want to give the Telo unit to a family member or sell it they will give you a number to help transfer it. Not realising I was being tricked by these crooks I said "sure but I will most likely just throw the unit away". Oh how they must have laughed. I noticed they reimburse you for two months service then charge you for two months so it evens out. I figured they were hoping I'd change my mind during that time. But no that is the scam. When the two months are up, they keep right on charging you because you are now in an eternal holding pattern to 'transfer the Telo'. What a great trick and they have got you. It's not until you see them start charging again , 2 months later, you go back and read the email small print and find they have not cancelled the account and had no intention of doing so and it is now up to you to transfer the account. This is their con. Now I'm going to have to waste hours of time getting into the legal process with them. I wish I had never heard of this company.

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Contact your credit card company (you are paying by c.c., aren't you? If not, you should be.) file a complaint, then go into your ooma profile and remove the c.c. info. Then call ooma and see if they don't suddenly get their act together.
I don't mind getting old, but my body is taking it badly

JMM

Post by JMM » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am

Same here. My problem is that they have my bank card info - not technically a CC. I cancelled my account on 7/28/17 and have my (apparently useless) authorization code. All I get is the run-around from Ooma reps on the phone and online.
I'm going to my bank to see if they will assist in stopping payment on the account but why does it have to get to this point?